Questions on HP Envy 700-060ea

bennethcheok

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
Hi guys, currently thinking about buying a pre-built desktop from hp. Would appreciate a lot to get some suggestions and answers to my questions.

Processor: Intel i7-4770

Ram: 16 GB (2 x 8 GB DDR3)

Storage: 2 TB 7200 rpm SATA

Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 (1.5 GB GDDR5)

PSU: 460W PFC AC power adapter

Will be using this to do a lot of gaming and video editing. Below are some of my concerns about the system:

1. According to some posts on several forums, it's best to run GTX 760 with at least 500W. Is it necessary for me to upgrade to an adapter of higher watts? If so, to what extent should I upgrade to?

2. Heard a lot of stories about issues on HP's cooling system. Assuming that I'm going to play heavy games which requires my system to perform at it's max, do I need to add extra things for cooling? (would consider upgrading to liquid cooling in the future, but prefer to stay with fan cooling atm, for around a year or so.)

3. Is overclocking possible on this system? If so, is there further suggestion on the PSU and the cooling issue? Also, does overclocking void my warranty?

4. Is there any improvement on graphics if I use it with a monitor with HDMI input? Audio is not an issue as I will be using external speaker.

Thanks in advance.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
What about building your own pc? I had a prebuilt from HP before and after two years the motherboard died. That's when I started to build pcs. It's lots of fun and is like a big Lego puzzle. For adults.

Not only will you get better parts but you will also save a lot of money.

bennethcheok

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
That was my first idea actually, but I've just moved to a new country for studies. Still have other stuffs to handle at the same time, hence I'd prefer to save a little trouble by just getting a pre-built now. But I was making an assumption that I can still move my specs to my next own built system, in about a year's time, providing that they still work. I hope I was correct? =x

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

You'd be suprised, it only takes a couple of hours to build a pc. You can move the prebuilt parts into a custom pc, but they are usually the cheapest stuff straight from China just keep that in mind. I had an HP desktop before and the motherboard died out after two years.

bennethcheok

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013

I'm indeed surprised. I was under the impression that it'd take at least weeks to build one. I think I better start googling about it now. Thanks!

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador