Help with new custom pc internet access.

Hello, i just built a custom pc and i forgot to install the mobo drivers. My conclusion was that because of this, i was not able to access the internet. I am currently on my laptop and the internet here is working fine. I have since found the drivers on the internet and installed them. I am still unable to connect to the internet. My motherboard is an Asrock 970 extreme 3 and my gpu is a gtx 660 asus 2gb. When i go into cmd and type in ipconfig, nothing pops up under '' Windows IP Configuration". Could i maybe get some assistance on how to get my internet up and running?
2 answers Last reply
More about custom internet access
  1. First let us make sure the physical connection is good. Check the back of the computer where the Ethernet cable plugs into your motherboard. There should either be a yellow flashing light, or a green flashing light coming from the slot. Let us know which color, or in the event the connection is not displaying any lights.

Next, try opening up a command prompt window (start>run>cmd) and try this command: "ping 127.0.0.1" without the quotes of course. This will let us know whether or not your network interface card is functioning locally.

Check your device manager first (start>run>devmgmt.msc) and locate your network adapter. If there is a yellow triangle next to it, odds are the drivers you downloaded were incorrect or possibly the installation process was corrupted. Either way, re-download and install the drivers. Make sure to use the official source as well, http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=Download&Model=970%20Extreme3.

This sort of issue with new computers tends to be a driver issue, though it could be defective hardware :O You could try running a bootable version of Linux and see if you get internet access that way as well. Most Linux distributions do not require drivers before they are able to utilize Ethernet protocols. I would suggest something simple like knoppix or even Gparted Live which is a simply bootable partitioning program, but includes a browser for easy internet access
  2. SirSub42 said:
    First let us make sure the physical connection is good. Check the back of the computer where the Ethernet cable plugs into your motherboard. There should either be a yellow flashing light, or a green flashing light coming from the slot. Let us know which color, or in the event the connection is not displaying any lights.

Next, try opening up a command prompt window (start>run>cmd) and try this command: "ping 127.0.0.1" without the quotes of course. This will let us know whether or not your network interface card is functioning locally.

Check your device manager first (start>run>devmgmt.msc) and locate your network adapter. If there is a yellow triangle next to it, odds are the drivers you downloaded were incorrect or possibly the installation process was corrupted. Either way, re-download and install the drivers. Make sure to use the official source as well, http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=Download&Model=970%20Extreme3.

This sort of issue with new computers tends to be a driver issue, though it could be defective hardware :O You could try running a bootable version of Linux and see if you get internet access that way as well. Most Linux distributions do not require drivers before they are able to utilize Ethernet protocols. I would suggest something simple like knoppix or even Gparted Live which is a simply bootable partitioning program, but includes a browser for easy internet access

Yesterday i had a constant flashing yellow light on my ethernet port but now i have no light shining anymore. When i type in ping 127.0.0.1 in cmd i do get a pretty long response, im not sure if you need to see what it is or not. And when i check my device manager i have no network device tab.
Ask a new question

Read More

Internet Access Drivers Networking Internet