Sign in with
Your question

Help with new custom pc internet access.

Last response: in Networking
September 28, 2013 6:38:07 PM

Hello, i just built a custom pc and i forgot to install the mobo drivers. My conclusion was that because of this, i was not able to access the internet. I am currently on my laptop and the internet here is working fine. I have since found the drivers on the internet and installed them. I am still unable to connect to the internet. My motherboard is an Asrock 970 extreme 3 and my gpu is a gtx 660 asus 2gb. When i go into cmd and type in ipconfig, nothing pops up under '' Windows IP Configuration". Could i maybe get some assistance on how to get my internet up and running?

More about : custom internet access

September 28, 2013 10:13:53 PM

First let us make sure the physical connection is good. Check the back of the computer where the Ethernet cable plugs into your motherboard. There should either be a yellow flashing light, or a green flashing light coming from the slot. Let us know which color, or in the event the connection is not displaying any lights.

Next, try opening up a command prompt window (start>run>cmd) and try this command: "ping 127.0.0.1" without the quotes of course. This will let us know whether or not your network interface card is functioning locally.

Check your device manager first (start>run>devmgmt.msc) and locate your network adapter. If there is a yellow triangle next to it, odds are the drivers you downloaded were incorrect or possibly the installation process was corrupted. Either way, re-download and install the drivers. Make sure to use the official source as well, http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=Download&Mode....

This sort of issue with new computers tends to be a driver issue, though it could be defective hardware :o  You could try running a bootable version of Linux and see if you get internet access that way as well. Most Linux distributions do not require drivers before they are able to utilize Ethernet protocols. I would suggest something simple like knoppix or even Gparted Live which is a simply bootable partitioning program, but includes a browser for easy internet access
September 29, 2013 9:02:38 AM

SirSub42 said:
First let us make sure the physical connection is good. Check the back of the computer where the Ethernet cable plugs into your motherboard. There should either be a yellow flashing light, or a green flashing light coming from the slot. Let us know which color, or in the event the connection is not displaying any lights.

Next, try opening up a command prompt window (start>run>cmd) and try this command: "ping 127.0.0.1" without the quotes of course. This will let us know whether or not your network interface card is functioning locally.

Check your device manager first (start>run>devmgmt.msc) and locate your network adapter. If there is a yellow triangle next to it, odds are the drivers you downloaded were incorrect or possibly the installation process was corrupted. Either way, re-download and install the drivers. Make sure to use the official source as well, http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=Download&Mode....

This sort of issue with new computers tends to be a driver issue, though it could be defective hardware :o  You could try running a bootable version of Linux and see if you get internet access that way as well. Most Linux distributions do not require drivers before they are able to utilize Ethernet protocols. I would suggest something simple like knoppix or even Gparted Live which is a simply bootable partitioning program, but includes a browser for easy internet access

Yesterday i had a constant flashing yellow light on my ethernet port but now i have no light shining anymore. When i type in ping 127.0.0.1 in cmd i do get a pretty long response, im not sure if you need to see what it is or not. And when i check my device manager i have no network device tab.
!