Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Creating a Water Cooling loop in a 900D (First time WCer and OCer) *Advice needed*

Tags:
  • Overclocking
  • Water Cooling
  • Cases
  • Build
Last response: in Overclocking
September 28, 2013 7:26:53 PM

Hey guys, it's Sam here.

I'm currently working on my next build, this time I'm going for the 'Ultimate gaming setup' and will be creating a Custom Water Cooling loop in the 900D and will also be doing my first overclocking too. I'm looking for some much needed advice on radiators.

My current idea is:

Radiator Placement
Having a 480 Rad up top will fans pulling the air through the Rad and out of the 900D at the top.
Having a 120/140 Rad on the rear exhaust with a fan pulling air through the Rad into the case.
Possibly having a Rad mounted at the front of the case, but I'm not sure if the airflow is enough for it to be worth sticking a Rad there.
Having either a 240 or 480 Rad on the Bottom side pushing air out of the case facing the same way as the window (Left if you're looking straight at the case front on) and then have 2 fans on the other side (or PSU side in my case) pulling air into the case and past the Pump.

Blocks
XSPC Razor GTX 770 Waterblock
XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock

Pump
XSPC Laing D5 Vario w/ Multiport Top

Reservoir
XSPC Photon 270 Reservoir

Thanks in advance guys :) 

- Samo

Please note that I'm in NZ and you should use these two website for parts. Website 1 and Website 2.

*Edit* Updated post with part list.

More about : creating water cooling loop 900d time wcer ocer advice needed

a b K Overclocking
September 28, 2013 8:03:11 PM

Well I can give you a look at what I would consider a good setup, and then you can take that info and build your own loop from there.

I hope this helps
September 28, 2013 8:58:48 PM

toolmaker_03 said:
Well I can give you a look at what I would consider a good setup, and then you can take that info and build your own loop from there.

I hope this helps

That's very helpful, thank you :) 

- Samo
Related resources
September 29, 2013 4:54:53 AM

Check XSPC AX 360 kit
a b K Overclocking
September 29, 2013 10:14:29 AM

your welcome
September 30, 2013 3:39:04 AM

I've decided on getting (Still working out the small stuff):

XSPC Razor GTX 770 Waterblock
XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock
XSPC Photon 270 Reservoir
XSPC Laing D5 w/ XSPC Multiport Top

My question is: Is the XSPC RX480 Radiator a good choice if I want to use Silent fans with it? Are Corsair's SP Quiet line of fans actually quiet?

- Sam
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2013 3:48:56 AM

the AX series offers a little better stats, and yes the corsair fans are quite i have several.
September 30, 2013 3:52:51 AM

toolmaker_03 said:
the AX series offers a little better stats, and yes the corsair fans are quite i have several.

A RX480 is about $20 more than an AX480, here in NZ. Which is better to use (I'll be using, hopefully, 2 480's and 1 120 to cool an i7 4770k and eventually 2 770's. Is that cooling overkill?) Using the Quiet SP 120 fans with either of the Rads will result in it being quiet? Are the fans so quiet it's not noticeable? All good questions, in my opinion :) 

- Sam
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2013 4:01:01 AM

well go with what you like but the AX are there top series
as far as cooling overkill i am not the one to talk about that.

no you can hear them, but i can sleep in the same room with this rig running.
September 30, 2013 5:05:49 AM

Well XSPC are a very good company and I am really recommend them. Well the Phobya and Alphacool Nexxxos Monsta 480's rad and also up to the job Plus I don't recommend you to get the quiet corsair sp120 but to say the truth they are a little bit noisy but do an awesome job to dissipate all that Wattage .
September 30, 2013 1:30:36 PM

toolmaker_03 said:
well go with what you like but the AX are there top series
as far as cooling overkill i am not the one to talk about that.

no you can hear them, but i can sleep in the same room with this rig running.

Which is good, since my PC is also located in the same room. Really nice build you've got there ;) 

blackdevilmt said:
Well XSPC are a very good company and I am really recommend them. Well the Phobya and Alphacool Nexxxos Monsta 480's rad and also up to the job Plus I don't recommend you to get the quiet corsair sp120 but to say the truth they are a little bit noisy but do an awesome job to dissipate all that Wattage .

Here in NZ we've only got XSPC, Alphacool and Koolance for Radiators. I think my best bet would be to get an AX480 and then have the 8 fans in P/P. I'm also looking at getting a fan controller to control each Radiators fans (All fans in radiator hooked up to a splitter and then attached to the controller.). It's currently between BitFenix's Spectre PWM 120mm, Corsair AF/SP 120mm Quiet and the Noctua NF-P12. The Spectres are cheaper, then the Corsairs then the Noctua's at about $20 more than either fan. What would you two chose considering that I want a ridiculously quiet PC?
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2013 1:57:19 PM

with a fan controller it will not matter you can simply slow the fans down until you no longer hear them.
September 30, 2013 3:41:51 PM

I've been comparing the Alphacool Nexxxos XT45 480mm vs XSPC AX480 vs RX480. The XT45 is $30 cheaper than the RX480 and performs the same, and sometimes slightly better than the RX480. If I use the AX480, would I be okay to only having the fans pushing air out of the case (so no P/P) or would it be better, and quieter, is I did the AX480 with P/P? To add 4 more fans (Like Corsair SP or Noctua's) is more than the price of a radiator here.

I'm thinking of having a 480 in the top of the 900D pushing air out the top, then having a 120 on the exhaust pulling cool air and then finally a 480 on the bottom of the case (or is this unnecessary? Should I use a 240 instead??)

- Samo
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2013 3:51:09 PM

well i use fans on one side with shrouds as well as shrouds on both sides.

i used 80mm fans with 80mm to 120mm shrouds to save on cost with this build.
2 X 480 radiators will give enough cooling for almost any setup.
September 30, 2013 3:56:18 PM

toolmaker_03 said:
well i use fans on one side with shrouds as well as shrouds on both sides.

i used 80mm fans with 80mm to 120mm shrouds to save on cost with this build.
2 X 480 radiators will give enough cooling for almost any setup.

Perfect! For some reason, a 120 Rad is over half the price of a really good 480 radiator. So skipping a 120 rad means more money can go into the 480's :) 

- Sam
September 30, 2013 8:09:55 PM

I'm currently debating whether to get the AX or RX480 vs Alphacool NexXos XT45 480 (The UT60 480 isn't in my country, sadly). And I'm still debating about which fans to get. Do I need PWM if I'm using a Fan Controller?

- Sam
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2013 8:46:01 PM

no you do not have to with a fan controller.
I like the XSPC gear, the AX looks nice but it preforms as well as the RX so get what suits the loops look best.
September 30, 2013 9:02:42 PM

toolmaker_03 said:
no you do not have to with a fan controller.
I like the XSPC gear, the AX looks nice but it preforms as well as the RX so get what suits the loops look best.

I'll get the AX480 then. No point in spending $20-$30 more for a Rad that performs nearly the same. That extra money can go towards fans for the AX480's :) 

- Sam
October 1, 2013 3:25:00 AM

I've found a bargain of a deal for Twin Packs of Corsair SP120 Perfomance Editions, like it's nearly half the price of what everyone else is selling it for :D  Now I really can do P/P on these AX480's :D 

- Sam

*Edit* Although the PWM versions are twice the price and it seems I'm going to have a hard time connecting all the fans up to a fan controller, since all splitters that go to 8pin are PWM only :/ 
October 1, 2013 4:58:01 AM

Hi Sam,

I'm in NZ too, would you mind sharing where you found the good deal on the SP120s from? I was just going to grab them from Mighty Ape...

Also, which GTX 770 do you have? I have the oc 4Gb windforce Ed. and I have no idea where to find a waterblock from...
October 1, 2013 11:48:51 AM

DTH said:
Hi Sam,

I'm in NZ too, would you mind sharing where you found the good deal on the SP120s from? I was just going to grab them from Mighty Ape...

Also, which GTX 770 do you have? I have the oc 4Gb windforce Ed. and I have no idea where to find a waterblock from...

Well. I found the fans on Mighty Ape (Non PWM SP120) but when I realised I wouldn't have any way to connect them all up (without doing some serious modding), so I decided to pay double the price (now $70) for the PWM so it could work with fan spltters.

I'm just getting the Stock 770 (This is a new system I'm putting together around Chirstmas) as it's easier to fit and fit a stock waterblock.

I'm using this site since it shows most if not all of the available parts in NZ, and then I double check them with Pricespy too.

Hope this helps!

- Sam