Clean Install Windows 8 Onto New SSD Using Win8 Upgrade Version

LouDog

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
Here is my situation:

I have a PC which originally came with Windows 7. When Windows 8 came out, I used the Windows 8 Upgrade tool to purchase a Windows 8 Upgrade that I used to upgrade my PC from win7 to win8. Everything has been fine so far.

However, I recently purchased an SSD that I'd like to use as my primary hard drive. I would like to perform a CLEAN install of Windows 8 to the new SSD, then wipe my old HDD (I've already backed up what I want to save to an external drive) and use it for storage.

What is the best way to go about this? I've done a lot of research, but I can't find a definitive answer.

Just to summarize, I have a Win7 PC that's been upgraded to Win8. I just bought an SSD and I'd like to do a clean Windows 8 install onto my new SSD and then wipe the old HDD. I'd like to do this without cloning my current hard drive to the new SSD (because I want a clean install) or installing Win7 onto the SSD and then upgrading it (because this would take a while). Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

- Louis

LouDog

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

I don't have the ISO so I'd have to create the USB recovery drive to do this option. If I do that, do I just boot from the USB and then run through a Win8 installation? Would it be a clean install or is it just going to put an image of my current setup onto the SSD? Will I have problems activating Windows with this solution?

Thanks for your help and sorry for the many follow up questions....I've never really done anything like this before.

Which brand of SSD did you buy? I just installed a Samsung 840 Pro SSD on the rig in my sig. I used the Samsung system transfer software to clone my Windows 7 Pro X64 installation from my HDD to my SSD. At first it would not work and then the software prompted me for an update and after the update, it worked like a charm! Cloned my complete C: drive and the SRP (System Reserved Partition) to my new SSD. System now boots from the SSD and runs great! Highly recommended!

Yogi

LouDog

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

Hi yogi,

Thanks for the reply, but I'm looking to do a clean install, not a clone of my current drive.

Yes you just boot to it, select troubleshoot and then reset your pc. This will be clean; nothing but windows. There will be no issues activating it.

Some people do run into an error that won't let them use this method. Sadly there is no way to fix it. You can download the iso by using the upgrade assistant. I'm not sure if it can be done in w8 but I know it will work if you have another pc or use a friend's pc with another windows (32 bit os will download the 32 bit version so if you want 64 bit do it on a 64bit pc), it'll just ask for the w8 key that you received and let you redownload it.

Calor1

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Hey Louis,

Were you able do clean instal Win 8?
Because I'm having the same problem.
I tried installing Windows 8 from the ISO I got on the Windows site. Everything worked until after the installation it prompted me for the product key. I entered the same one a the one I used in the beginning of the installation but it gave me some error code. Turns out the product key you get from the upgrade program can't be used to install Win 8 from scratch.
So I figure I have to install Win 7 and then upgrade to Win 8(.1).
Can anyone confirm this is the way to go? Because it will be quite a hassle and I don't want to see it not working again when I'm finished :).

Thanks

Telephone activation may be available...Windows Key plus R and enter slui.exe 4. If available choose your Country and phone the number.
If not, try performing a Refresh with your Installation Media in place, just type 'refresh' at your Start Screen and choose Refresh your PC from Settings. windows should be activated on completion. (This is normally done immediately after Installation, so you may have to install again).