Random Rare Comp Freezes, CPU related?

DotDotD

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
I know what you might think,
"VIRUS!"
Nope, i'v got all kinds of protection. Now, these freezes happen all the time. It seems happen with some programs and not others. It happens to random programs.
And for whatever reason i can still move my mouse around during this time.

My cpu usage is normal 2-15% with basic use / 50-85% with games. It's an AMD 965 BE.
I was wondering if heat can be a problem.

I had this processor gifted to me. And i'm a afraid heat damage could be the source to this problem. This cpu was a "test" cpu. It was used w/o heatsink a few times. Having to shut itself off due to heat. Don't ask why. The guy is a tech. Techs are crazy.

But could this be a problem, anyone think it's some other problems, my system is fairly new. OS and other components are new. But I can't get over that it's probably heat damage.

Anyone think so??

DotDotD

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
Never really used Prime 95, kinda scared too.. OC is scary enough. I have an EVO 212 push-pull but idk..
What's scary is that my bios says im idling at 42c and my MSI control center says 30-32c. I know those are healthy readings but what if those arnt even right.. And other hardward monitors are shit.
HW and CPUID both tell me im 0c on all cores. Can't solve that problem ether.
BAHHH! I LOVE YOU 965 BUT WHY MUST U NO WORK WITH ME?!

DotDotD

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
Coretemp gives me the same. 0c
And i'v heard alot of people saying turn OC in bios to auto and that Green AMD crap that under locks ur cpu, turned that off too. (Cant remember what its called atm)

But il take a look at SuperPi and P95 and ill let u know whats up

DotDotD

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
Well, i'll test it Tuesday when I'm off work. I wanna be able to look after temps while running P95. So keep an eye on my tread? You really seem to know your stuff. And i wanna let your know my p95 details after finishing it.

You definitely want to monitor temps while running any stressing program. I'm not so sure about the other temp monitoring programs but I know you can do this in CoreTemp, try changing the reading to "Display Distance to TjMax in Temperature Fields" (for CoreTemp it's under: Settings>Advanced). The reasoning behind changing that setting is that distance to TjMax is a direct reading while the temperatures the programs show are interpolated readings - it might give you a more workable number than 0c.
I've got a copy of your motherboard manual, I'll look it over for settings that may help (assuming you're on the MSI 990FXA-GD80V2)

TRENDING THREADS