Classpnp.sys problems after accidentally going into eeepc recovery mode.

natek

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2013
I have an ASUS eeepc with a Windows 7 / Linux Mint dual boot. It's set up so that it goes to the Windows boot loader first, then from there when you select Linux it goes to Grub, which contains options for the various modes of Mint, plus an option to go back to the Windows bootloader or also to the Asus system recovery mode. Today I accidentally went into the system recovery mode. I didn't do or change anything there, exited out/restarted, tried to start windows, and it hangs on startup (the Starting Windows screen). Safe mode hangs on loading classpnp.sys . I have no idea what happened or what to do. I don't have startup disks and don't know how (or whether its possible) to use the Windows recovery system on this machine boot into and try to fix this from there, which is what other classpnp.sys-related troubleshooting guides I've seen recommend to try. All that really seems to let me do is a factory restore, which I don't want. There were no hardware/software changes prior to this, and the Linux installation is working totally fine. Debugging mode hangs, the automatic startup problem fixing thing runs but doesn't come up with anything. Nothing I can do gets me into windows. Any help? Thanks

natek

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2013
To be clear - this is actually an eeebox nettop. When I select Windows Recovery Environment from GRUB, the windows recover environment loads, but this is a machine where ASUS replaced the whole thing with their stupid recovery tool once you're in, which only allows a wipe/factory reset.