Sign in with
Your question

Best PSU For Higher End Gaming / Overall Build

Last response: in Components

Should i use the Corsair AX860 PSU for my build (http://pcpartpicker.com/user/KathrynKitta/saved/2ocW) ?

Total: 2 votes

• Yes
  • 100 %
  • No
  • 0 %
  • holy **** on a ******* sandwitch. Maybe...
  • 0 %
September 29, 2013 5:30:46 PM

I am building a higher end (i think it would be considered higher end :"P) "future proof" computer.
I have gotten most of my parts ironed out, but i am not 100% sure what PSU to get.

Here is a link to PCPartPicker build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/KathrynKitta/saved/2ocW

As you can see, i have already bought the case, and included the AX860 as the, for now, preferred PSU. I am looking to overclock my CPU to 4.2 / 4.4 / 4.6 (depending on my luck) and my memory to 2133. I am also going to get an additional ASUS 780 GTX at some point in the future, as it has shown 90% improvement over 1 card vs. 2 card SLI, making it a definitely well built card in its architecture and SLI capability.

With all this in mind, can anyone please suggest a PSU that i could use, that would be fully modular, and could support everything i have listed in PCPartPicker and another 780 card.

(80 plus plat preferred, but I could be swayed to use a gold rated one too)

Please let me know what you think, and also let me know if you think i could upgrade / downgrade anything to maximize my performance and still come out with a good price :")

I am open to all considerations so please feel free to suggest things.
Thank you in advance!
a c 633 4 Gaming
a c 126 ) Power supply
September 29, 2013 8:44:55 PM

More than enough, good choices on components, you'll love the Hero, that's what I run, might want to invest in a platter drive for data, temp, cache files, etc
September 29, 2013 9:54:17 PM

Tradesman1 said:
More than enough, good choices on components, you'll love the Hero, that's what I run, might want to invest in a platter drive for data, temp, cache files, etc

Well, I am going to get a 1 or 2 TB drive, and partition it into 2, one having about 20% of the total capacity to short stroke it and make it run faster for the games and things i will have stored away.
The SSD is just to start me off, as it is way more than enough to run all my needed stuff (like windows, steam, needed programs, and other misc things / games i want to have super loading times like SC2)

I was going to get the EXTREME version of the asus maximus VI, bu it think at 200$ more, with so many hardcore OC options it would be an over kill for me...

All i need now is to get an ac PCI adapter, or anything with AC as my router supports AC and id like to use it for more than just my phone... But the ASUS PCI wifi AC adapter runs at 100$ :( 

I think ill have to make a new post for that though, unless someone replies suggesting a good one or an alternative.

I wanted to use the intel wifi ac and Bluetooth 4.0 mini pci card for laptops but i dont think i can use it on a full tower desktop build... i need some advice on that.
Related resources
a c 633 4 Gaming
a c 126 ) Power supply
September 29, 2013 10:02:58 PM

Might take a look at the D-Link DWA-182, about $50
September 30, 2013 7:16:48 PM

Tradesman1 said:
Might take a look at the D-Link DWA-182, about $50

I have always been weary of usb wifi adapters... can i even take full advantage of my ac network ?

Out of all things computer, USB wifi adapters are the thing i have 0 experience with,.. i have always used a PCI card with an antenna...
a c 633 4 Gaming
a c 126 ) Power supply
September 30, 2013 7:23:34 PM

Here's some info:

http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/connect/adapt...

I'm sort of the opposite, I'm not a big fan of the plug in cards, a lot of systems have the PSU, monitor, speaker, etc power cords all around the back of the PC case and that can intefere with the wireless signal
September 30, 2013 7:30:34 PM

Tradesman1 said:
Here's some info:

http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/connect/adapt...

I'm sort of the opposite, I'm not a big fan of the plug in cards, a lot of systems have the PSU, monitor, speaker, etc power cords all around the back of the PC case and that can intefere with the wireless signal

well i use an extended antena... i would never use the innate on the case anteans :s
a c 449 4 Gaming
a c 2198 ) Power supply
September 30, 2013 7:46:25 PM

With 2 - 780's it never hurts to have some headroom , and it's a top notch PSU at a cheaper. price.
a c 633 4 Gaming
a c 126 ) Power supply
September 30, 2013 7:52:42 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
With 2 - 780's it never hurts to have some headroom , and it's a top notch PSU at a cheaper. price.

+1
September 30, 2013 8:40:21 PM

Tradesman1 said:
SR-71 Blackbird said:

+1

well.. seems good... ill have to watch a review of it and such, but yea.. looks good :)  thank you for all your support guys ^^
a c 449 4 Gaming
a c 2198 ) Power supply
September 30, 2013 8:43:37 PM

We are all glad to help!
October 1, 2013 6:24:27 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
SEASONIC made \ Gold Certified \ Full Modular \ 1000w

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Power Supply: Cooler Master V1000 1000W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $179.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-30 22:30 EDT-0400)

Well, i have watched some things about it. And here is what i dont rly like about it:
1. Cables are non-braided (other than the 24pin)... Id like the cables to be braided and well protected... they are all bare. Im not sure if i like that :( 
2. The 24 pin connector is so unstandard... its wierd to me, i dunno...
3. It doesnt have as good or as long of a warranty as the corsair AX860

one thing i do like about it, is that at the load ill be running it in, it will be at about 30-60% load, meaning it will run at its peak efficiency most times...

I dunno... im not sure about the cables... anyone can defend them?
also, im thinking i might overclock another 150mh on the GPU clock for my graphix card. and with 2 like that eventually, im not sure if 860 will be able to carry that...

please advize

PS: that price was RLY temporary.. also im buying everything from newegg as i want to buy all at once and do a bill me later with paypall to distribute my money outtake (not that i dont have for it, its just to ease my pocket throughout the time, and make me feel better about spending so much hehe)
!