XFX Radeon R9 280X Double Dissipation Surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

meowmix44

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
My OCed ASUS 7970 DCU pulls the same as the 280X and is voltage unlocked. I only payed 250USD for it. Hmmmmm.... Also my Firestrike score is exactly the same (6750+).

meowmix44

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
My OCed ASUS 7970 DCU pulls the same as the 280X and is voltage unlocked. I only payed 250USD for it. Hmmmmm.... Also my Firestrike score is exactly the same (6750+).

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011

You are comparing an already overclocked cards benchmarks to a new reference cards benchmarks (which is a refreshed version of the 7970).

Considering the reference card starts at $300 instead of the initial $450+ for the 7970 GHz edition is a good sign that AMD is putting pressure on Nvidia.

If the R9-290X is not to bad in price I might just pick one up. But I will probably wait till there are more than just reference. After having a Vapor-X, its hard to go back to stock designs as it truly does make for a quieter GPU when gaming.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

My local store for the Gigabyte cards :
2GB 680 : $399
2GB 770 : $469

Pay more for same hardware but newer branding, sounds Apple to me.

f-14

Distinguished
the only problem i have with it, is it's XFX, they don't honor their warranties and treat their customers like dirt and use 2nd hand low quality parts.
i don't know of any one who has never been screwed by xfx.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

Could you provide a link? I'm guessing you probably won't for one of the following reasons:

A: You're actually referring to a non reference 4GB card
B: Your local store is located somewhere in eastern Europe... or India
C: Your local store, like many local stores, inflates the prices on practically all of their hardware
D: You live in the US or Canada, in which case you made one hell of a pathetic argument
E: Oh, your local store happens to not have a website...

The MSRP for the 770 is $400, and it's not at all difficult to find one for ~$380 right now. If your local store is charging you $470 for a stock card, you're being ripped off, and you know it.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
www.msy.com.au

And before you crack the sads you can clearly see they are both 2GB cards, and with a minute of googling you will see both run at 1,137Mh Core Clock (the 680 has a slightly higher boost clock).

abbadon_34

Distinguished
f-14: I for one ONLY bought and recommended XFX for years specifically for their "Double Lifetime Warranty". They don't offer it anymore, but I, my brother, and a couple of my friends have been using the first or second (resale) warranty for years, since they would offer an substantial upgrade for near nothing once the card was 2 gens old.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010

Oh and with a little more googling you can see the 770 is a slightly better card. Also every 680 I see is 450-500. While every 770 I see it 350-450 for the 2GB models you referenced. What are you going on about again? Just because the prices get inflated in your country does not mean that is what happens elsewhere.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

You sir are a fool. This is a TERRIBLE sign, as this just means AMD won't make profits for another quarter. People like you don't seem to understand you have to make money. AMD has lost 6B+ in the last 10yrs. When will people like you pull their heads out and start saying AMD NEEDS TO CHARGE MORE MONEY! You are the reason their cpus have no R&D and suck. You are the reason their GPU drivers suck. You and everyone else asking for low prices are the reason AMD sucks these days and will continue for ages. Nobody will put pressure on NV with large debt and no cash (vs. the exact opposite for NV, no debt and 3B cash). NV will laugh, lower prices to break even and watch as AMD just gets weaker.

WAKE UP.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

Fair call, every country is indeed different. At the end of the day they are both amazing value, well any of the cards around $400 I would be happy with. I wasn't meant to pick on nvidia either as the same screwy prices will happen with AMD no doubt. I was just seeing if the 680/770 fire was still burning, looks like it is.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Kudos to whomever came up with the idea to lock the voltage on the 7970's after selling them for months un-locked. Now to come out with this "NEW" design to be un-locked voltage.... please. But that is with most vendors not just XFX.
I am in the same boat as F-14. I would be FAR more interested if it were any company other than XFX. I have owned many XFX cards in the past and had to deal with their pathetic support on a few occasions(ME: I have Problem XYZ, my drivers are updated. XFX: Please be sure your drivers are up to date....), never getting the issue solved. Was just told by support it would be best to replace the cards as it would be too difficult for them to diagnose their issues.
Had two xfx5830's and three xfx7970 DD Black's to get acceptable cards. Any warranty is worthless when you have inferior hardware and non-existent support. XFX has done at least three silent revisions to the 7970 DD including changing available output ports and the said voltage lock. The DD cooler is a joke, I questioned XFX about its poor performance and I was ignored. Specifically, how does a vapor chamber work upside down? If I am missing something here please let me know.
TBH, looks to me like they just put a new shroud over the old heat sink and fans. I know some will think I am just another bashing XFX, but when you spend large amounts of money/time on products that lack quality and support I expect any reasonable person to feel the same. FYI, I am still running my XFX 7970 DD waiting on the new GPUs to get rid of it. All these GPU's were from Newegg, they were the ones who replaced the defective cards with working ones not XFX.

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
+1 F14
Years ago I bought an XFX 5770 from newegg, my problem was the mail in rebate they didn't honor. I ran a near silent aftermarket cooler on that card, it was a good GPU.
But it was the last XFX product I bought. Sure XFX saved $20 bucks in 2010, but lost many sales to Asus since...

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I have 2 4870 HD's right now, how much of an improvement will I see with 2 of these cards over what I have for the cost (which I did not see posted).

I never have an issue with rebranding. But its normally done on the mid to low end. There was only 1 new GPU for the 700 series (and even that wasn't truly new just a cut down older model), there are two for the R9 series. I would have liked if there were more.

Status
Not open for further replies.