HDD I/O Error

gouranga20

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
Hi and hey there.
I bought a PC from a neighbour and I was shown it all working.
The set up is:
Asus m5a97, amd 6100, win 7 prof 64 bit, 160gb HDD and 300gb HDD (both internal, 1gb ram.
As it had his profile on it I reinstalled windows from the win 7 installation disk to have a clean start with the computer. For some reason it installed the backup restore files on the 300gb HDD and now it takes about 5 minutes to open the disk and sometimes it disappears from my computer. If you try to write to it it says something along the lines of "unknown error occurred there is an I/O error". It says it's unable to format it, doesn't give a reason. I went in to disk management and disk management would freeze so I uninstalled the HDD and disk management would then open but it says the drive is unknown and not initialised. I tried downloading the latest drivers but the computer just said the best drivers are installed. I know it's something I've done, just a bit at a loss of what it could be. I have nothing personal on the PC so am perfectly happy to reinstall anything if needed

gouranga20

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
Sorry to be annoying. Solved. Reinstalled windows and ran the command prompt. Cleaned the disk and converted it to MOT. It worked