Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade my Core 2 Duo E7400 (GPU + RAM + SSD) or build new $500 PC ?

Last response: in Systems

Upgrade this Core 2 Duo E7400, or build a new system?

Total: 0 vote

• Upgrade! Give this old geezer a 2nd wind!
  • 0 %
  • Build a new system.
  • 0 %
September 29, 2013 11:27:59 PM

Hi,

My current Core 2 Duo E7400 system with 2 GB RAM is getting to be too slow nowadays (approx 4 years old). To top it off, my Radeon HD 4670 just died too. I use it mostly for gaming (World of Tanks (WoT), Skyrim) and web browsing/paying bills, etc.

I like running multiple programs at once with no slowdown, which this PC fails at. Running a web browser + WoT makes the web browser almost unusable if I alt+tab to it. I would really like to run modern games at max quality settings at 1920x1080 if possible (particularly WoT).

So, should I upgrade this current PC with a new GPU + RAM (4GB max supported by this board) + SSD drive to get a little more life out of this unit, or should I build an all-new PC?

Approximate Purchase Date: this week

Budget Range: $500-600 After Rebates; After Shipping.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, web browsing

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: GPU+RAM+SSD **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using** <-- I think the PSU is 400W, very basic. If you need any info more info about my current PC, let me know.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: any

Parts Preferences: I prefer Intel/Nvidia but am open to AMD/ATI if you can convince me.

Overclocking: No, never done this before and I'd like to play it safe. I will reconsider it if you can convince me it's safe and worthwhile.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I would like a quiet PC. I don't care about looks or anything fancy-looking; it's going to sit under a desk.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: PC is slow and GPU died (no 3d games!)
October 3, 2013 6:58:03 PM

Build a new PC for sure! Here's the spec's I suggest for what you seem to need out of a computer (general internet multitasking, and playing games the best you can on budget).
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core ProcessorP ($89.99 @ NCIX US) I would go with AMD cause it is cheaper. An FX series card would
work also, like an FX-4300 3.8 ghz turbos 4.0
Motherboard: MSI 760GM-P34(FX) Micro ATX AM3+ MotherboardP ($54.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Grey 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 MemoryP ($47.98 @ Amazon) Big difference than your current set up, thought you may need more punch than 4gb
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video CardP ($184.99 @ Amazon) This card can even go for 120, look around better
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower CaseP ($36.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power SupplyP ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD WriterP ($16.97 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $496.88

For an OS, that is up to you. I suggest Windows 8 for once you get used to it, it's so much better. And with 8.1 coming out, it may just be the best OS.
October 4, 2013 10:13:05 PM

Thank you very much SirGetch. I am upping my budget slightly I think, but you have given me some good ideas!

Related resources
October 5, 2013 5:24:09 PM

SirGetch has a good idea. I also agree with building a new pc. Prices seem to be low for processors and motherboards.

AMD gets a bad rap because they can't outperform Intel's overpriced processors but you should seriously look at AMD at least a quad core or more....It will make the computer good for many many years. The only thing I like about Intel is their motherboards and processors seem to be a perfect match made in heaven. Do you want to shell out $100 for an intel motherboard when you can get a gigabyte or msi for less in the AMD flavor?
!