Scary information about using Crossfire combined with Eyefinity - no better performance than a single card.

I know a few people have mentioned AMD cards in crossfire are best for triple monitor displays, but turns out that is far from the truth:
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-Eyefinity-vs-Surround-Single-and-Multi-GPU-Configurations/Benchm
Now I'm not trying to start a flame war here, i just came across the information when visiting another site to learn more about the new amd GPU's and Mantle, and thought many people would benefit from this information when buying a setup for triple monitors/4k displays. I was quite shocked by how bad the problem actually is. Have a read of the article.

Some more information:
http://techreport.com/news/25428/driver-fix-for-crossfire-eyefinity-4k-frame-pacing-issues-coming-this-fall

hopefully they fix it, interesting to see the comment about the new R series gpu's: "we expect Hawaii-based graphics cards to arrive with a very capable solution for CrossFire frame compositing and pacing already in place."
I wonder if that means all the R series, or does that discard the re-badged ones?
If they pull all this off, i may well opt to go back to AMD card next time round.....

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

This issue has been known for awhile. The 13.8 beta driver helped fix the issue for Non EyeFinity Setups. In the notes for the beta it specifically lists that its limited to reslutions below 2560xXXXX. This was the first phase of the update, the next is supposed to do the same thing for EyeFinity setups. I'm hoping they can get as much of an improvement in EyeFinity setups as they did on single screens.

yeah i know, but i didnt know that AMD cards in crossfire were dropping nearly half of the frames rendered in eyefinity before they hit the monitor, while fraps was counting them as fps in benchmarks. Thats much worse than just the micro stutter issue with a single monitor. I would be very annoyed if i purchased an amd crossfire setup for eyefinity with the impression that it was the best solution. And having had a crossfire setup previously, was the annoyed person at the end of AMD's promises. Like i said, hopefully they fix all of the crossfire problems and it becomes a viable solution..... I also wonder how Mantle will work with crossfire...