A wire connected to wrong port=damaged motherboard?

Zorkel

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
I recently moved my motherboard to a new case also inserted a new cpu along with a new installment of a corsair h801 as my cpu cooler. I got help with mounting the cooler and connecting the electric wires to the motherboard, due to the fact I wasn't sure how the cooler would be mounted. The day after I decided to rewire the cables so it was better organized and not a snake nest, in this process I noticed that a usb 2.0 header was connected to the IEEE 1394a port on the motherboard

So my question is did this damage the motherboard or can I relax?
And if there is a risk of damage, how can I verify any damage done or is it simply time to go out
and buy a new motherboard?

The reason is at times when I play Metro last light it will crash after 1-2hours with windows error log showing graphic drivers stop responding. And before the switch of cpu it worked flawless without these hitches.

I can also hazard a guess of incompatible ram.

Computer specs:
Cpu-z validation dump
http://valid.canardpc.com/b1nk7u

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
the problem doesn't seem to add up to a damaged motherboard, you seem to think incompatible ram did you check see if your ram is on the qualified vendors list in the motherboards user guide?
i think you got very lucky in a sense that you plugged a usb wire on the 1394 port as it should not have caused damage unless you plugged a device into the usb slot,whereas if you had plugged a 1394 wire on a usb port that would have caused damage,
have you tried uninstalling all your drivers and re-installing the most up to date versions it may turn out to be that simple

Zorkel

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009

The ram is listed on the qualified vendor list thought not sure if it's only with the old phenom II cpu. And well the usb device that got plugged into the firewire port was the link between corsairs cooler unit and corsair link 2 software. And No I did not reinstall windows 8 nor drivers. All drivers are up to date thought. As for the ram it's just a guess I'm just not sure whats the issue or the cause.

Will also install and try deus ex, human revolution and see if that produce the same thing.