replace gtx580 sli with HD7990

mabsUK

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
I am looking to replace my current gtx 580 (1.5gb) sli setup with a 7990 following the recent price drop (£470). However currently my motherboard only supports pcie 2.0, and my CPU is i5 2500k overclocked to 4.2ghz, 8gb Ram. I am guessing the actual bottle neck would be minimal, however I only ever run on a single 1080p display.

I know I wont be getting the most out of the card, however I am after getting as high a frame rate as possible whilst running mas settings. Just after an opinion if this is even worth it, much appreciated.

mabsUK

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013

Thanks for the response. Anyone have any knowledge on how this performs since the driver update 13.10? Should there be much of an fps increase compared to the gtx 580's in sli?

mabsUK

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013

Just a single monitor 1080p. I know it wont make the most out of the card, but I want to run BF4 at highest settings with over 60fps. Looking at the performance of gtx 580 in sli for crysis 3, I was only getting around 40 fps, so would guess I would struggle on this setup. Also I am guessing that as the demo of BF4 used the 7990, the drivers should be configured correctly.

Don't see any hardware problems although it may not fit the case.
It's Nuclear overkill for a single 1080 monitor.
Dropping the best part of £500 on one part is a hefty outlay so before you 'head to checkout' I suggest you take a good look at how the rig is performing and ask yourself: Is it broke?

The reason I asked was due to the Crossfire frame pacing issues. AMD currently has support for single monitors at 1600p or lower in DX10 and DX11. This would give a good experience for your setup, though a bit of an overkill.

Here are some Alpha benchmarks of BF4: http://www.bf4blog.com/battlefield-4-alpha-gpu-and-cpu-benchmarks/

Interesting: Note where the GTX590 falls and the difference between it and the 7990.
Also note that the GTX590 runs lower clocks than the single GTX580s it is based on.
Looking at those numbers I'd strongly suggest mabsUK holds on to his/her money.

I always believe the best order to purchase is the game, then decide if it needs an upgrade. So I'd definitely try the game first, then worry about an upgrade if it isn't performing up to your expectations.

It is evident that at 1440p, there isn't enough vram on the 590, but at 1080p it seems to hold its own, despite what the GPU VRAM usage chart says. I know many games will show more vram usage than needed, and this appears to be the same.

mabsUK

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013

Thanks for all the responses. It makes sense to wait, but don't want to miss out on the resell value for the 580's at the moment, along with price cut for the 7990. Might be taking a risk but I worry the price of the 7990 will increase once bf4 is released.

Don't worry about the 7990, it will not increase in price. It has generally good poor reviews and was not selling at $1000, so they lowered the price. It still doesn't sell well. Generally, except perhaps in the first month of a new released card, prices never go up on GPU hardware.