Can't enter BIOS settings?!! - SOLVED

RipGroove

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Both my mobo manual and my startup message state that the 'Delete' key will get me into BIOS settings, but nothing happens, I've also tried all the usual keys with no luck. Have also tried both a PS/2 and USB keyboard.

Any ideas? Mobo is an MSI FXA990-GD80

GUNNY1966

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
TAP YOUR DELETE KEY RAPIDLY UNTIL YOUR BIOS SCREEN APPEARS IMEADIATLY AFTER PRESSING THE POWER BUTTON!

1 - Restart your computer.
2 - Press the "Delete" key on your keyboard once text appears on the screen.
3 - Enter a password if prompted; otherwise, navigate the BIOS menu using the arrow keys. Reference the legend located on the screen for specific keys used to alter settings.

RipGroove

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
When I boot up I can see the text on the screen for about 4secs stating press del to enter setup, but pressing delete does nothing, the screen just stays there for 4secs before moving on to the Windows splash screen?

RipGroove

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Looks like my keyboard isn't active until I get to the Windows user login screen. That's the only time when I can toggle the Caps-Lock light on and off. So how can I get my BIOS to recognize my keyboard?

I don't have an internal memory card reader (some people say unplugging that will fix it) and I've tried unplugging all usb devices.

I've read that pulling the CMOS battery can help with this issue with a USB keyboard but mine is PS/2? Whats involved if I do reset the CMOS? I didn't build this PC and I've never really messed with the BIOS settings so what would happen?

GUNNY1966

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Okay when you enter the Choose Advanced Options screen,
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm320/PeteCup/20130930_151131_zps09106b52.jpg
have you tried your ARROW keys or the TAB key to try to get a scroll to move into one of the options listed? Your keyboard should work to do this, if not & your mouse has a center wheel, it as well could possibly work.
? ? ? ? ? Can you provide what Operating System you have installed on this system as well ? ? ? ? ?

RipGroove

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

Hi yes the keyboad does work here and its Win7 Ultimate

RipGroove

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
OK so I've found a workaround that works for now. Obviously it doesn't get to the root problem but it's got me in to my BIOS.

As I have an MSI Mobo (FXA990-GD80), I downloaded this:

Live Update 5

This is an auto updater for my Mobo. So I ran it and let it scan my mobo and it showed I was due 12 updates (Audio drivers etc etc). One of the utilities it installed was called 'Fast Boot', and when open it has a button called 'GO2BIOS' which when clicked reboots the PC and automatically opens the BIOS!

Got there in the end :)

GUNNY1966

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
As I mentioned above about the CHARGER from USB, from MSI's website:
Super Charger

Mobile consumer appliances are getting more and more attention in current day fast moving life style, with smart phones and tablets almost becoming a fashion accessory. However, many ordinary personal computers cannot charge some of these devices, making it difficult to stay connected. The MSI Super Charger is a Windows resident program capable of revising the power supply mode of your USB port to become more powerful. Once your phone or tablet is connected to your USB port, the Super Charger sends a signal to initiate its charging circuit, making it a really smart and convenient charging solution for mobile computing needs.

* * * * * * * * * Note * * * * * * * * * *: Only front red USB ports support charger function after system off!

Here is the Link to YOUR SPECIFIC MOTHERBOARD to multiple Drivers as well as the BIOS FLASH. Your Motherboard as you probably already know has this feature: Live Update 5

MSI Live Update 5 is a powerful and useful application for updating the latest BIOS and Drivers, saving you time and lowers the risk of updating. End-users can install and run the Live Update 5 software on their computers with the companion CD or downloading the app from the MSI website.

Features
- Automatically Detect the BIOS/Driver/VGA/Utility Update
- Support Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7 32/64bit

Here is the link to MSI if you need it on your MB: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/990FXA-GD80.html
Also when you get it up & running I suggest you review the POWER SETTINGS via the CONTROL PANEL & the BIOS reason:
DrMOS

In order to provide customers stable and high quality products, starting from P45 series motherboards, MSI is leading the industry to introduce the world's most advanced power supply component, DrMOS (Driver-MOSFET), which integrates Driver IC, Top MOSFET and Bottom MOSFET into one chip. Except for its outstanding performance in power saving, DrMOS possesses switch frequency which is 400% faster than traditional MOSFET and has great improvement in stabilizing power supply and voltage control. Even under heavy loading and overclocking conditions, DrMOS can still provide the most stable and efficient power supply and quality.

I believe your problem is software based NOT HARDWARE related! BE CERTAIN you follow the steps as you can brick your motherboard flashing the NEW BIOS, READ ALL NOTES & print them out if need be.
****** NOTE ******
: We suggest using Chrome, Firefox 3.0 or IE 8.0 above browsers to download BIOS, Drivers, etc.
LINK: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/990FXA-GD80.html#/?div=BIOS

If I can be of further assistance, simply reply to this thread If your issue is resolved please select the issue as a RESOLVED status, Thank You :)

RipGroove

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Thanks some good info there. Do you think I need to flash my bios then or change my power settings? If yes to either can you exlain why?

GUNNY1966

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
After you flash as it will apply the default once you've flashed as a rule! You can change your power settings in Windows as well as the BIOS, the OS will give you options as well as the BIOS however the BIOS doesn't control your OS power settings therefore you will need to tweak the OS settings as well!

RipGroove

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Are you saying if I plug a usb keyboard into the super charger usb ports the keyboard will have power and enable me to enter bios? If so I'm sure I've tried that. And I dont have any red front ports? I have two black front ports and 2 blue rear ports.

RipGroove

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

I don't think you have mentioned about the charger ports thats what's throwing me?

RipGroove

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

Sorry to hear that :-( And no still no resolve.

GUNNY1966

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Sorry, I'll review what we have done thus far & try to help you further!
First I have a question, have you tested with both keyboards? I assume you have or you wouldn't have mentioned you have both. If so, are you using the USB port on your motherboard or are you using the USB provided on your case or are you using the PS2? NOTE: IF your using the PS2 Ports the MOUSE must be plugged into the TOP PORT ( TEAL COLORED ) & the KEYBOARD must be plugged into the ( PURPLE COLORED PORT ) ? If your using your case/tower USB unhook & plug it directly into one of the motherboard USB ports provided.
According to this link, your motherboard has the following USB connections: http://www.legitreviews.com/msi-990fxa-gd80-motherboard-review-amd-990fx-chipset_1626/3
The I/O panel of the MSI 990FXA-GD80 has all of the usual suspects you would find on the back of an enthusiast level motherboard. There are PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports, both optical and coaxial SPDIF connectors, eSATA, Firewire, USB 2.0, Super Speed USB 3.0, the typical six audio jacks, and the ever so handy CMOS reset button!
Read more at http://www.legitreviews.com/msi-990fxa-gd80-motherboard-review-amd-990fx-chipset_1626/3#jpoYuqMS8tldj4Ee.99
As shown in the link this is your BIOS, I'm reviewing your motherboard as I go along.
http://www.legitreviews.com/msi-990fxa-gd80-motherboard-review-amd-990fx-chipset_1626/4
Your 3.0 ports are as follows:
http://us.msi.com/product/mb/990FXA-GD80.html#/?div=Detail
USB 3.0
• 2 USB 3.0 ports by NEC® D720200
Lets get his resolved first, Answer the following questions:
( 1 ) Have you tried the PS2 keyboard & is it plugged in correctly like the above mentioned?
( 2 ) Have you tried the 3.0 ports or 2.0 with the keyboard RESTARTING each time to see if the hardware is detected?
Answer these questions then I will do further research as needed. I'm going to do some further reading into your motherboard & the specs, I will get back with you as soon as possible!

RipGroove

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Wow thanks, yes I've tried both the usb and ps/2 keyboards and yes I've tried the usb one in all of the ports on the motherboard itself, restarting the PC each time.

GUNNY1966

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Okay now that we have that determined, we are going onto the next step (s).
( 1 ) In Sections 3-7 & 3-8 of your manual it explains the USB Configuration set-up in the Advanced mode of your BIOS, have you followed the following steps to set up the USB configuration?
EXAMPLE SHOWN, ( USE YOUR MANUAL TO VIEW THE FOLLOWING ):
USB Configuration
Press <Enter> to enter the sub-menu.
USB Devices:
This item shows the type of installed USB device.
USB Controller
This item allows you to enable/ disable the USB controller.
Legacy USB Support
( 2 ) Set to [Enabled] if you need to use any USB 1.1/2.0 device in the operating system
that does not support or have any USB 1.1/2.0 driver installed, such as DOS and
SCO Unix. Set to [Disabled] only if you want to use any USB device other than the
USB mouse.
Onboard USB 3.0 Controller
This item allows you to enable/ disable the onboard USB 3.0 controller.
High-Speed USB Link
This item allows you to select the USB 2.0 source chip. Set to [SB] if you like to
allocate the USB 2.0 ports to South Bridge. Set to [Standard] the USB 2.0 ports will
be allocated to NEC chip. ( YOU USE STANDARD )
USB 3.0 Legacy Mode Support
Set to [Enabled] if you need to use any USB 1.1/2.0/3.0 device in the operating
system that does not support or have any USB 1.1/2.0/3.0 driver installed, such as
DOS and SCO Unix. Set to [Disabled] only if you want to use any USB device other
than the USB mouse.
If you have already followed the steps & your devises are showing in the USB section of the BIOS have you ( ENABLED ) the USB controller as shown in the manual?
Once we have determined this if it isn't working properly, we will search for other issues that may cause the problem. Let me know :) Screen Shots of your information would be useful, If we have not fixed any issues we possibly may use another site so I can view your settings. Is this okay with you? If so I sue Photobucket, Skype, FaceBook & or other resources. PRIVATE MESSAGE me ONLY the information which you are comfortable in sharing. I also use Teamspeak3 to communicate & it has file sharing if needed. Once you Private message me if the following didn't help, I will contact you with the information. Hope this helps!

RipGroove

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

UBS Controller = Enabled

Legacy USB Support = Enabled

Onboard USB 3.0 Controller = Enabled

High Speed USB Link = Don't have this option (see image below)

USB 3.0 Legacy Mode Support = Don't have this option (see image below)

BIOS01_zps0d2bdbfa.png

Obviously if there's any other screen shots or information you would like just ask :)

GUNNY1966

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
I've read your entire manual & one thought that keeps coming to me is the Event Timer & I didn't find it in your manual however I do see some things that are possibilities.
( 1 ) In your manual, section 3 - 10
Wake Up Event Setup
Press <Enter> to enter the sub-menu.
Wake Up Event By
Setting to [BIOS] activates the following fields, and use the following fields to set the
wake up events. Setting to [OS], the wake up events will be defined by OS.
Resume By RTC Alarm
The field is used to enable or disable the feature of booting up the system on a
scheduled time/date.
Date/ HH:MM:SS
If Resume By RTC Alarm is set to [Enabled], the system will automatically resume
(boot up) on a specific date/hour/minute/second specified in these fields (using the
<+> and <-> to select the date & time settings).
Resume By PCI or PCI-E Device
When set to [Enabled], the feature allows your system to be awakened from the
power saving modes through any event on PCI or PCIE device.
Resume From S3 by USB Device
The item allows the activity of the USB device to wake up the system from S3 (Suspend
to RAM) sleep state.
Resume From S3 by PS/2 Mouse/ Keyboard <-------------- IS THIS ENABLED ?
These items determine whether the system will be awakened from S3 state when
input signal of the PS/2 mouse/ keyboard is detected. <-------------- IS THIS ENABLED ?

If not, ENABLE them & run test to see if the BIOS will show. I am going to do some further research to see if I can find additional resources to gather more information. I will post more as soon as I have time to research more! Hang in there! :)

GUNNY1966

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
RipGroove, At this point I suggest trying other means of attempting to solve this issue. I've suggested serveral different suggestions & all have failed of which is normal not knowing the systems issues nor being directly there to view the issue.
I suggest going directly to the MSi webforums
If your not registered it's easy & you need to post so others may possibly help you. I suggest asking Svet at MSi about this issue, he is VERY good in regaurd to MSi based systems! Svet is a Administrator, you may directly be able to post with his name attached to get his attention! I'm sorry I couldn't help you but if you would I want you to post the link to your post so I can see the results & his ideas to fix this issue, it may simply be a bug issue or possibly a corrupted BIOS version. PLEASE remember to add me to the list & yes I as well am registered user at MSi & I have moved this topic to their forums & have associated your user name with it (RipGroove). Here is the link to the post I started for you: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=173936.0