What Card Should I get, Want to be Play All Modern Games

thehig

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
Hi

If you have not been putting systems together for a while, the amount of graphics cards there are is daunting, I really find it hard to determine what one will get the performance I need.

My Current Spec is

CPU AMD FX 8350
RAM 8 Gb DDR3 Ram
HD 500Gb HD
POWER 500W PSU
GPU
ATI HD 5450

I would like to be able to run any game, and upcoming games on high settings, I think my CPU and Ram is fine and I know my garbage GPU is bottle necking the system.
I can spend about £150 on a GPU.

Is there any benefit in keeping it ATI, as the motherboard/processor are AMD, or is it just a case of getting the best hardware regardless of manufacturer.

I don't really want to have to upgrade my PSU, so if possible a good card that can run with 500PSU supply.

The type of games I'll be looking at are ( Arma 3 , Fifa 14 , Skyrim , GTA 5 , etc etc)

I have seen the GTX 660 for £150 at local computer store by were I live, would this give me the performance I want ?

If you shop around you should be able to get a HD7870, it's about the same performance as the GTX660Ti but from what I've seen the GTX660 in your shop is about the same price as on the 'net by the time postage has been taken into consideration.
If you can hang on and put some more aside the HD7950 falls into reach-some are dropping to the £170 mark:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-275-AS&tool=3
If you do decide to extend the budget, avoid the 7950s with single fan coolers. I meant it. Really, really mean it.

thehig

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013

Will a 500PSU be able to handle that card,(7950) its right on the minimum, also it looks huge I'm not sure if it would fit in my case.

I have a PCI express slot and 2 PCI slots, does the card take up 3 slots ?

I'd have to remove my wireless network card to accommodate it

Can you either link to the installed PSU or give us its exact make and model number?
The card I linked is VERY big and needs 3 slots of space.
It requires 1x6 pin and 1x8 pin (sometimes they're 6+2 pin) connectors.
The HD7870 needs dual 6 pin connectors and the GTX660 (non Ti) usually requires one.
(hiding smile) Whatever you get it's going to be a colossal upgrade, I expect to be able to HEAR your smile from here in Norwich ;).

thehig

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
I ended up getting the AMD HD 7850, got it for £105, i still think thats a huge upgrade I played PES 2014 and it loaded the crowd this time.
Deus Ex Human Revolution played fine.
As did GTA IV smoothly too.

Thanks for your suggestions, I couldnt resist saving near £100 toward my holiday though the 7850 seems good enough for me

acid1drinker

Honorable
May 28, 2013

What resolution is your monitor?

I am considering that card so wanted to know if it can run tomb raider / far cry 3 on utlra?

^ It won't, not at 1080 res.
@thehig: Thought I heard someone smiling, TBH its probably the most sensible choice for your situation.
Now, be a good fellow and select a best answer so the thread can be closed.

acid1drinker

Honorable
May 28, 2013

What if i play at 1440x900 ?

A 7850 should run both very well and providing the rest of the rig is up to it, quite possibly at or close to ultra that rez, but both games can be fine tuned.
If you need further answers, please start a new thread, it is considered rude to hijack threads.