Recommendation of whole home HTPC

gdlgiii

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
Looking at replacing all 3 DVR's with a single HTPC connected to 2 additional media extenders. Would like to know what type of CPU to use in a new PC build for this type of configuration. This media pc will be running Windows 7 x64 Media center edition and will have a Centon InfiniTV6 PCI tuner card installed.

This is what I have so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks CPU: AMD A6-5400K 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.98 @ Outlet PC) CPU Cooler: SilenX EFZ-100HA2 58.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($9.96 @ Amazon) Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($56.00 @ Amazon) Memory: Kingston Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($48.96 @ NCIX US) Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($60.98 @ SuperBiiz) Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($60.98 @ SuperBiiz) Storage: Seagate Pipeline HD 1TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US) Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 6570 1GB Video Card Case: nMEDIAPC HTPC 7000B (Black) HTPC Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US) Case Fan: Masscool FD08025S1M4 31.7 CFM 80mm Fan ($3.49 @ Microcenter) Case Fan: Masscool FD08025S1M4 31.7 CFM 80mm Fan ($3.49 @ Microcenter) Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($22.98 @ Newegg) Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-208DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($57.99 @ Adorama) Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($90.88 @ Amazon) Keyboard: Logitech K400 Wireless Slim Keyboard w/Touchpad ($29.99 @ Amazon) Other: Centon InfiniTV 6 PCIe - 6 Channel Cable TV Tuner Card ($300.00) Other: nMEDIA PC LCD Panel Blue 20x2 ($35.00) Total: $995.66 (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.) (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-30 16:20 EDT-0400)

I went with the AMD A6-5400K 3.6Ghz Dual-core, 8gb of ram and 3 HDD's. (2 will be mirrored) and one for LiveTV and recordings.

Also have a little reservation knowing this thing is going to be running 24x7... and its Windows.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Generally speaking, you're going to want one CPU core and 2GB of RAM for each viewing device on the network. In your case, I'd definitely be looking at a quad-core processor. Also, if you're going with a discrete graphics card, I don't see any need for an APU. Just go with a lower powered quad-core FX series processor.

I keep both my all-purpose system and my HTPC on 24/7; both running Windows 7 and I've not run into any issues.

-Wolf sends

gdlgiii

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
That does bring up another question that I have been debating for a few weeks. If there will be no external monitor conncted to this unit, only a 42" LCD tv, then do I even need a graphics card? I have read posts online where others stated that for those bigger displays, to use a dedicated graphics card - especially for 1080p. But I plan to just use HDMI cables plugged into the TV. Same for the media extenders.
Thanks for the great advice on the CPU. Will most definetly look into those other types of CPUs

gdlgiii

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
Another thing that comes to mind is do I even need a graphics card if its going to be a true dedicated HTPC. No gaming. Just watching Live TV, recording shows, and streaming MP4's, and MKV's from the NAS drives on the network to multiple TV's. Maybe ditch the graphics card and just go with AM A8-5600 series so it will use onboard graphics?
I am reading about those FX processors and I read that these things get pretty warm and with the smaller case, may have to switch to liquid cooling instead of fan cooling (?).

Wolfshadw

Titan
That's going to depend on what processor/motherboard combination you go with. A Quad-Core APU when paired with an FM2 motherboard with HDMI out, and you probably do not need a discrete graphics card. A quad-core FX series CPU does not have the embedded graphics and would require a discrete graphics card.

I tend to lean towards the FX processor and discrete card because you do not want an APU to become overwhelmed while you're watching one program, recording another, and two other people are also watching different programs in different rooms. That is a lot for your processor to handle and adding the graphics necessary to maintain smooth video playback on your display may overwhelm the system.

You do need some sort of display, but it doesn't need to be a computer monitor. My HTPC is connected only to my HDTV (via HDMI) and projector (via a DVI to HDMI cable).

-Wolf sends