Resources and Advice Troubleshooting a Motherboard

tudaque

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
I have a motherboard (I think it is a PM57 PCH Peak-M system board) on an HP ENVY 15-1066nr that I believe has a short.

A few days back the laptop stopped charging. I used a multi-meter to test the DC power supply, and then took the laptop apart and tested where the wires hook into the motherboard. There was a 19V current both places so I am inclined to think that the easy fixes aren't the problem and it is a short somewhere in the mother board.

My problem is even though I have been in IT for almost a decade, I have never descended to the circuit board level. I wouldn't do so now if I wasn't broke and could afford to buy another one. I have the service and maintenance manual, but it gives no information on the board other than how to remove it. Any learning resources or advice on how to go about troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated.

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
I had that happen with a dell before, at first the laptop wouldn't power on but then I found a replacement charger online then that worked. Then I noticed the battery would not hold a charge. what worked was putting the battery in the freezer for about a few hours to a day, then I left the battery in the laptop for about 5 hours, it did take a while but it finally charged full and worked like it should after that. Also you need to have your computer running while charging

tudaque

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
I will give this a try, but it is important to note that at this point the computer doesn't turn on even if I take the battery out. As such I am inclined to think that while this might fix some annoying battery issues I have been having for months, it probably won't fix the larger problem.

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
do you have 7-20 dollars to buy a new charger for it? some times that can cause the issue, a lot of hp's also have recalls on them because their bga solder for the video card cracked and cause the computers to have crazy problems and become non bootable. That can be really expensive though, I normally charge about 85-155 dollars for that job. which is something I offer but I really would not recommend.

tudaque

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013

I have thought about this but don't want to do if it isn't going to help and I am inclined to think it won't, having tested it with the multimeter. It is also worth noting that I tested the charger on other laptops which received a charge from it.