Report: Radeon R9 290X to Launch October 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm sure they are going to miss you but on the plus side I'll take your place as the drivers for this 7790 I have are the total pits so it's a 1:1 deal! :lol:

C 64

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Speaking of drivers....
How is the state of ATI open source rivers for Linux? Any positive movement there?

C 64

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Sorry for double posting - some Foxie troubles, also my D key on keyboard is not working as it should: I meant how are the drivers?

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I bet $1 that it's yet another AMD paper-launch with actual purchase-ability not coming until November. And I'll believe the "Titan killer" rumors when someone actually reviews one. Lest we forget Bulldozer being talked up like it was the greatest thing ever and we all remember how that turned out.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Last official news I heard is that they had to slow down on AMD's end for Linux support. A buddy of mine who keeps up with linux moreso than I states that both Nvidia and AMD are starting to ramp it up since SteamOS announcement. Just wanted to pass along a bit of hearsay.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Ati thoroughly disappointed me with awful driver support for (now aging) 4850. In 2013 I still can't get pure black on video reproduction. Instead, I have to be content with level 16 dark gray emulating TV reduced color range.

Unlike ATI that outright dropped support for older cards, nvidia on the other hand kept releasing updates that freeze windows and forces users to hard reset the computer and (naturally) lose all your work for gtx 4xx and 5xx cards.

Sure, I could (and do) use older drivers to circumvent that, but not before banging my head against the wall figuring out what the problem with the freezing was. I'd take dark gray not being black over freezing my computer any day.

Nvidia had rock solid drivers and stellar support for older cards for ages now, and it all slipped to sorrow in less than 12 months. Time to give ATI another go.

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010

Delay normally happens when they switch to a new process.

Since the chips are using the same 28nm, and most of them are refreshes, I don't expect much lag between announcement and retail availability.

SilverWolf9000

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

What is this? Someone on the internet who wrote a well-thought-out response?! What kind of wizard are you!?

Jokes aside, I really do admire your comment :) I've had nothing but trouble with Nvidia, as much as it saddens me, as they seem VERY capable, but I have only been let down before. When I switched to AMD, sure, there were a few stutters and chirps here and there, but for me, it was a new kind of experience. That is when I gave all my trust to AMD to prove to me that they can come with something bigger and better than a crippled, overpriced Titan... Shame on you Nvidia...

I saw that the expected price is around $599.99. Decent if you ask me. If it can drive a modded to hell skyrim and oblivion at 1440p as well as run my little sideshow of artsy programs and programming, I am a happy Wolf.

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007

Your response makes no sense (first quote). Babbling from an obvious fanboi trying to sound neutral. I have owned many cards from both camps, and although I have not much experience with drivers and half decade old cards (time for an upgrade maybe?), Nvidia has always had much better drivers. I currently run a 770sli main and 7870 htpc. The 770 is a better experience even dealing with sli.

Also as others have said, it's typical of amd to hold the nda until the last second so their underperforming product can get the fanboi hype train rolling. All the silly kids expect this giant killer, but temper those expectations. I'm all for a spectacular showing from the red camp, one that can stand the test of time and not fizzle out after a few weeks, but lets just say im not holding my breath.

Speaking of drivers....
How is the state of ATI open source rivers for Linux? Any positive movement there?
My experience for an oldish onboard radeon chipset in Linux was that with the open source drivers, I got bad performance, stutter and artifacts.

It was a royal pain to install the propritary drivers but once I did, the framerate doubled and the artifacts and stutter were gone.

C 64

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
@childofthecorn
@smeezekitty

Thank you for the good news.
Was hoping that the announcement of SteamOS would make some progress on this front, so I can call my old computer and components out of retirement...

From what I have heard, AMD is working with devs so it is getting better. Just not rapid progress.

The fact of the matter is Linux has like 2% desktop market so it isn't the main priority.

NVidia drivers are far from perfect on Linux too.

claptrap22

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
Would be really nice to see this card come in at around $550. (of course, cheaper would be nice, but I'm just being realistic...I think...)

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
on the topic of nvidia linux drivers. When I install linux on my old pc (single core 3ghz northwood with an nvidia 6200 i think it is) it stutters just to scroll through a web page. I know when windows used to do that back in the windows 2k/xp days it meant I needed to install official nvidia drivers not the pos ones that windows gave me. Try to do that on linux and you get to compile them yourself! yaay!

bobback

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Whats happenning with the GPUs market?
Now every 6 months they are releasing mid-range cards as high-end cards and with high-end cards price. I wonder if people is aware of that. Look at these cards, even at their release they are not poweful enough. Some years ago (maybe close to a decade) high-end cards were high-end cards. They were able to run newer games at max, including AA and also above 70-80FPS. Now this simply doesn't happen. Since the SLI/Cross technology they sell us "ok" cards with a high price.

bobback

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
I wonder if people do noticed that we are at the worst GPU market years.
Companies like AMD(ATI) and Nvidia are comming up with new releases almost every 6 months and they are just selling mid-range cards like high-end cards.
These cards aren't really high-end GPUs. After the SLI/Cross technology that's how they are doing business, simple market.
High End cards some years ago were expensive as these new ones, but back then we would be talking about High-End cards. Cards that were able to run any game and even benchmarks maxed out including AA with no less than 60 constant FPS. These cards don't exist anymore. To make people think that they need to use dual cards they are releasing these "ok" cards year after year, they aren't powerful enough even at the release. I really miss the old days when i could buy a high-end card that was a high-end card. A card that was meant to run all the releases at max resolution, AA and for more than a year.
Now its just mid-range and they improve the performance like 2-5% when they release new drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.