Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What kind of heat sink should i buy for a amd phenom 9650?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 1, 2013 6:17:06 AM

Have a asus m2n32 sli deluxe wiresless mb and was going to upgrade from a athlon 64x2 4200+ to a phenom 9650 quad. Do i need to upgrade the stock heat sink or buy a nicer one and if i need a new one what would be a good match for the phenom 9650?
October 1, 2013 7:40:22 AM

it depends on your kind of usage. If you are going to overclock it then the stock one is not going to fetch you very impressive results otherwise the stock one is more than enough.
Related resources
a c 680 à CPUs
a c 122 À AMD
October 1, 2013 8:09:06 AM

Unless you need the extra cores for multitasking, I don't see a phenom as being an upgrade. Phenom I tended to be slower than K8. A real upgrade would be to an Athlon II 640 or a Phenom II 945 as listed in the cpu support list. Just need a bios update.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M2N32SLI_DeluxeWireles...
October 1, 2013 1:33:37 PM

logainofhades said:
Unless you need the extra cores for multitasking, I don't see a phenom as being an upgrade. Phenom I tended to be slower than K8. A real upgrade would be to an Athlon II 640 or a Phenom II 945 as listed in the cpu support list. Just need a bios update.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M2N32SLI_DeluxeWireles...


If I went with an athlon ii 640 would the stock heat sink still do the job?
a c 680 à CPUs
a c 122 À AMD
October 1, 2013 1:37:04 PM

The stock heatsink from the 640 will be enough.
October 1, 2013 1:47:11 PM

logainofhades said:
The stock heatsink from the 640 will be enough.


I meant the stock heat sink for the m2n32 sli deluxe wifi mb?
a c 680 à CPUs
a c 122 À AMD
October 1, 2013 1:48:01 PM

A new CPU comes with its own heatsink. Motherboards do not come with CPU heatsinks.
October 1, 2013 1:49:17 PM

logainofhades said:
The stock heatsink from the 640 will be enough.


I am going to purchase the athlon ii 640 u were talking about on ebay but it is cpu only i have the stock heat sink that came with my board will it be ok with the athlon ii 640?
a c 680 à CPUs
a c 122 À AMD
October 1, 2013 1:50:18 PM

You will probably want to get a different one then. A coolermaster TX3 is a decent low cost option.
October 1, 2013 1:51:13 PM

logainofhades said:
A new CPU comes with its own heatsink. Motherboards do not come with CPU heatsinks.


Sorry I meant the heat sink that came with the athlon 64x2 4200 thats on the board now my bad sorry
October 1, 2013 1:52:33 PM

logainofhades said:
You will probably want to get a different one then. A coolermaster TX3 is a decent low cost option.


Ok thank you very much for the help : )
!