4:3 aspect 1600 x 1200 full screen old games?

RiftSpecter

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
im looking at a cheap monitor to run old games such as fallout,myst thief and all other games from that era but for the last 3-4 years iv been using my TV as a monitor and older games on a massive 55" screen only using about 10",12" is pretty much impossible to get any kind of immersion and widescreen hacks im guessing would stretch it out making these old games look even worse then they did when they took up 1 tiny square in the centre of my tv

the montor im looking at is
Dell 20.1" 2007FPb
with 1600 x 1200 max resolution
if i bought this monitor would i still have the same problems as i did with my tv or since its 4:3 it will take up the whole screen anyway?

Solution
^+1.
However it's done putting a 4:3 image onto a widescreen display is never going to give the best results it's either vertically squashed or you loose a chunk out of each side.
One other trick is to set the highest widescreen res the game supports and crank up the AA, but that's also not optimal.
sucks sitting 7-8 feet away to play a game doesn't it. i think the 16x12 would be great......... i play on 1920x1200 and wouldn't have it any other way. you can shove those 16:9's. ........ ( 1080's ), + what-ever's.

as far as taking up the screen........... not many people understand because they've only owned 16:9 monitors.............yes, the game will be more enjoyable and look much better not being "cropped" at the top.

^+1.
However it's done putting a 4:3 image onto a widescreen display is never going to give the best results it's either vertically squashed or you loose a chunk out of each side.
One other trick is to set the highest widescreen res the game supports and crank up the AA, but that's also not optimal.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS