Quiet Gaming PC Advise

Hackmodford

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
I've been slowly building my gaming pc and needed some advice.

I have the i7 3770k processor with the stock fan, a Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB Ram Graphics card, and am using the Fractal Design R4 as the case with its stock fans.

Currently it seems like the PSU is the loudest part in the case. (I'll provide model later when I'm at home)

I'm considering using the bequiet! Dark power pro 10 550w PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817222001
It has an integrated fan controller which intriques me.

The internet seems to have a consensus that Noctua fans are the best for being quiet.

If I used the bequiets!'s fan control (if recommended) and used Noctua fans. Which ones should I get? I'm assuming 140mm because my case can fit them and larger is quieter generally right?

In regards to CPU cooling this is the cooler I think I'm going to use Noctua NH-D14
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608024
But have been considering the Corsair H100i (Water doesn't seem worth it for just CPU)

So my questions are:
Should I use the PSU fan controller?
What Noctua fans should I use in my case?
What cooler is a good choise?

My priorities are how quiet it is then how cool it is.

Smawell

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
You would get similar results with the NH-D14 and the H100. You could even use Noctua fans with the H100 if you so pleased. Though yes, bigger is quieter, and noctua fans are SILENT. I have a pair of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553007 and I can tell you that they are just as silent and cheaper I believe. Best to go with a fan controller from your motherboard or get one for cheap online that will be placed in a 5in slot on the front of your case. ie. below the Disk drive.

Hackmodford

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
Oh I forgot to mention that this is a dual boot system, with Mac OS X as the main OS and Windows 8 and eventually Steam OS as choices. So if a fan controller isn't compatible with Mac OS X I'm out ;)

Smawell

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I must be missing something on the product page? I've never heard of a PSU having an integrated fan controller, and if it did, wouldn't it be on the back of your PC then, making it hard to reach for easy use.

Smawell

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I just don't see where on the product that the fans are controlled. Unless it does it automatically based on it's temp. I would assume though that someone like you would want a full easy to access control of your fans, as it seems to be important to you. That's why I would recommend the physical controller.

Hackmodford

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
Under "feature details" on the product page, and I'd rather have less to worry about. I don't want to fiddle with settings.

I'm assuming that the PSU detects power increases and ramps up the fans as necessary.

Smawell

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

I meant physically, ie. a dial on the PSU. But if you aren't looking for full control then that PSU sounds great for you. I had just assumed since you wanted the best fans and all that you would like to have full control of them.