4) Click on Advanced system settings
5) Under the Advance tab click on Environment Variables
6) Click on ComSpec
7) Click on Edit
8) Set the path to C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
9) Click on OK
10) Click on OK again
11) Click on OK yet again.
You may need to reboot after making this change.
Once you have made the change and rebooted (if necessary) try the ping and ipconfig commands again.
If it works great and if not post the result.

G

My environment variables for comspec is already set to windows\system32\cmd.exe
ALSO more details. I do know someone smart that knows about this and he had me type
echo %PATH& and it replied program files\java\jre7\bin
he had me type a long complicated line into the command prompt that changed the path
it worked... but after restart it reset itself... I didn't save that line...

I may have told you the wrong place to look. Try looking at the entry beside Path to see if it includes ;C:\\WINDOWS\\system32;C:\\WINDOWS;
If it doesn't then you need to add that to the path. Try it and let me know if it helped.

G

Ok I sort of found the problem myself... but their is still 1 problem...
whenever I startup my cmd I need to type:
cd c:\windows\system32
is there a way to permently set that as the default directory?

What did you do to get the problem partially solved? Did you check the Path to make sure it includes both ;C:\\WINDOWS\\system32;C:\\WINDOWS; ? If they are there did you double check the spelling and include the semicolons ( ; ) ? I only ask because if the syntax is not correct the path won't work. If you are at a command prompt and type path do you still only see "program files\java\jre7\bin" ?

G

Im confused on what you just wrote but my default directory is at an incorrect position which does not contain the commands of cmd.
I do cd c:\windows\system32 to active the commands... I just need to know to make that stay forever.
when I close cmd it will go back to the old directory which can get very fustrating

Never meant to confuse you. What I meant was to try this (a slight variation of what I posted before):

1) Click on Start
2) Right click on Computer
3) Click on Properties
4) Click on Advanced system settings
5) Under the Advance tab click on Environment Variables
6) Click on Path
7) Click on Edit
8) Add ;C:\\WINDOWS\\system32;C:\\WINDOWS; to the path
9) Click on OK
10) Click on OK again
11) Click on OK yet again.
You may need to reboot after making this change.
This should permanently fix the problem.

Your command line is set properly, it defaults to the user path. What happened was that your environment variable for the PATH got changed (it was replced instead of appended to). That PATH variable is what Windows uses to find location of programs you type if you don't type in the full path to it. If you type in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Winword.exe it will start Word. If you type in just Winword.exe it will also start Word, IF the PATH contained the line C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\. Windows then knows to try to find the winword.exe command in that location.

Sometimes there are bugs in programs or someone did a bad job of repackaging a setup where the program should Append to the end of the PATH, but instead it Replaces the PATH with what it puts in.