• To sell 770

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Or not to sell 770

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
With all of the news about mantle it sounds like it is going to be very promising.
But i'm scared; having an nvidia card and with BF4 being one of those games that i'm going to be playing for the next 2+ years.

Should i sell my gtx 770 and grab a 7970? Or should i just let my card depreciate in value and wait for nvidia to come out with its own proprietary API? Maybe the performance will even out.

I have heard of NVAPI, which should be in BF4 and it was in BF3. But this didn't really make a HUGE gap between the two.

Suggestions, ideas? All is helpful.

I'd say wait for the game to actually come out and see if Mantle makes a huge difference or not. The beta for BF4 just launched , but I'm not sure if Mantle support is being included in the Beta, so we might not know what difference it makes until the game officially launches.

In any case, I don't think Nvidia is going to try to push a proprietary API, AMD can only do it because they make the GPUs for the next console generation, and barring the PS4 flopping spectacularly, Mantle will get more developer attention, as they can use it in the PS4 versions of their games as well as in their PC ports for users with GCN cards. If Nvidia tried to push their own API, it would probably end up like GPU accelerated PhysX, only supported by a small handful of releases each year, and not seeing widespread adoption.

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Mantle is implemented in December with the final release is what i'm reading.

Hopefully nvidia has something to even out the playing field with BF4. I'm going to be really disappointed otherwise.