BF4 Demo thoughts?

So I've played this BF4 demo on my PC for about an hour or so. It's running on Ultra and I must say I am really not impressed at all. Graphically it appears like its a next gen console port. It feels clumsy and really a COD feel to it. There are some aspects that I like, the squad VOIP, spawn camera, the loadouts are kinda cool. However, the game itself just feels graphically neutered. I think the BF3 beta looked better than this thing.

At this point I am not pre-ordering this game. I'd like to see what other have been experiencing so far.

tman2damax11

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
Runs at half the fps I got on BF3 even thought the system requirements are exactly the same, besides the fact that BF4 "recommends" windows 8.

The beta better look good enough to get people excited. My group of fellow gamers are not impressed. One was so outraged he uninstalled this after 30 minutes. Sure it's a beta, however, less than a month before release, you better have a somewhat well put together game that doesn't feel clunky. My understanding was the beta was to test their server infrastructure to better prepare for go-live. However, if you offer an open beta to a large audience the game better look good.

I did experience some lag now and again, and I do expect some glitching and nonsense with a beta. However, the root of the game and its graphics just don't impress. It doesn't even have a BF3 feel to it, let alone something "better". Everyone is running around COD style even more so than before. I was hoping for a little more tactical and coordinated feel.

If they took BF2142, did a reboot with the Frostbite engine, it would be an amazing game. I guess it's time to look at ARMA III. BF... so long dear friend. I will leave you to your twitchy trigger happy kids.

tman2damax11

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
Also even though I've only played on 64 player servers so far they feel dead, dice made maps WAY to big again :( they need to focus on map design and not huge scale or massive detail

Maps aren't big enough! Bring on the old Titan maps! If you feel out of a transport in the middle of no-where, you were running for 10 minutes unless someone picked your ass up. It forced you to approach capture points with caution and plan attacks. No running in guns blazing. I would hope there are much larger maps to come in BF4 to stretch your legs a big and force some strategy.

TheGhxst

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012

From what I would imagine, which is just my oppinion, I think they are more doing some of the added features to see how well they preform as well as doing a bit of stress testing(which will go into full swing once the beta opens up to public). I have had plenty of tactical combat, having a firefight with a dozen people when all of a sudden a tank rolls down the road and everyone scatters because they don't want to get shelled, flank around the tank to try to get some RPG's and C4 on it, for example. Give it some time, it's just a beta, graphically it will be improved on launch, no question about they. They are holding back I think. Everyone has there basic weapon kits so of course they are going to run straight into firefights lol.

I kept it installed and maybe through the month they will update the beta install with better graphics or another map. I am simply not impressed right now. I know it's a beta, but it is probably the worst beta I've ever played in a FPS game. Like I said it feels next gen console-ish port. Unlike BF3 which was developed for the PC and also then for console and not a port to the PC.

TheGhxst

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012

I read somewhere that they are using an old version of the engine to run the Beta on, anyone know if this is true? Either way I noticed there are a few quirks, much to be expected with beta, and all you have to do is look at screen shots to know the true potential graphically. Don't worry about how it looks right now lol

^
I read the same thing. However, my experience so far is just not very good. The screen shots I've seen do look good. However, almost all of them are from the single player campaign, which always looks better than multiplayer. Another component I just don't like is the game play feel. I don't feel that natural movement sense like BF3. Moving around feels about 2 steps back to me. The game play all feels rushed and confined to tight corners and nothing very open. Though larger maps may satisfy that for me.
I do expect quirks in a beta, no question there. I just don't think they gave us enough with this one to impress anyone. Sure if they want to test servers that's fine. But give us something that will wet our palate and get us excited, because as of now I'm not.

heids24

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009

What? Maps are too big? This is Battlefield. Maps should be huge. The beta map is a medium map at best. And I actually thought the BF3 maps, especially the launch maps, were way too small. I'm hoping for some monster sized maps at launch!

heids24

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
My thoughts on the beta so far:

Graphically, the game does look better than BF3. In gerneral it's marginal, but is most noticeable in the environmental and particle effects. After the skyscraper collapses, the way everything is covered with dust, and the airborn dust particle effects actually impressed me quite a bit.

Gameplay - To me, it actually feels better than BF3. The characters feel like they have some sort of momentum to them - they don't start out in an instant run when you press the sprint button. It takes a short amount of time to get up to full speed sprint. Guns feel better to shoot. I haven't pinpointed why yet, but to me they just do. Guns are more deadly though. It's much easier to kill someone - which I actually don't like. You had mentioned a COD feel to it, and I think this may have to do with the fact you die quickly, as in COD. I'm hoping the buff the player health a little bit.

Map Design - well, my comments here are based on the single beta map, but I actually love how this map is designed. It isn't constrained in any way. You can access all cap points from multiple paths, unlike a couple of the BF3 maps at release. THERE ARE NO CHOKE-POINTS!!! I like the way the map changes after the skyscraper collapses and love how different flag C plays before and after the collapse. There is so much vertical play. You can access the roof of many skyscrapers, buildings with multiple floors, underground parking lots, etc. I like the multiple approaches to flag C. You can take the primary bridge from either side of the map, you can take the bottom pedestrian bridge to stay out of site, you can swim across, you can take a jet-ski across the bay, or you can just hop in a helicopter to the top. You aren't funneled like rats through a choke-point by being forced over a single bridge.

Sound - The weapon sounds have improved from BF3 IMO. They have more of a "punch" to them.

GUI - they did a really nice job with the menus and user interface. 1000x better than BF3, which was obviously designed for consoles. Managing squads is much improved. I like what they've done to convey squad orders to squad members by annotating their minimap with the desired target. Also glad they upped the squad size to 5. I played in a well coordinated squad of 5 yesterday and it was a lot of fun as we steam-rolled each flag due to well organised coordination.

My biggest gripes - the overpowered feel of the weapons and the fact they stuck to the modern warfare era which contributes to the game feeling a little too much like BF3. I would love for BF to go back to WWII with the Frostbite 3 engine.

All-in-all, I'm pretty excited about what they're doing with it.