Is my gaming rig good enough for GTA IV enb?

Frenchyz

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
hey guys i'm new here and i know the online community here is very good because i've always been used to asking questions on yahoo answers and thought that i might give it a try here on tom's.

okay so my 'rig' specs are

intel core i7-3770
8gb 1600 mhz
600w PSU
2TB 7200 rpm

GTX 660 1.5gb gddr5

1. Now my question is, is my specs good enough for gaming or is it considered above average and sufficient enough or more than sufficient enough to run today's games?

2. What about my video card? is the gtx 660 1.5gb good enough to run gta iv with decent framerates on high quality settings ? is it a good graphic card?

i know my gpu is an oem but i want opinions on whether it'll be good enough to run games like gta iv with them high quality enb mods with ease.

3. and my last question would my graphic card be able to last a few years (game-wise) like i mean does is it considered an above average graphic card or a nooby one?

thanks guys ^_^

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Hi there, and a warm welcome to Toms Hardware Forums!

First things first, your rig. That is a pretty decent gaming rig, not top end but far from low end. =)

Bearing in mind that even the latest games such as Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3 can be run on a Core 2 duo with 2gb of ram, you should have no problem runnong most games at medium settings.

As far as GTA IV goes, you have to understand that this is a very bad port from the console version, and for this reason it isnt fully optimised for PC use. I play GTA IV myself on PC, and I cant run it at max settings, even with my 2 670's. But there again, I dont think anyone has managed to play GTA IV on hihg settings at 60FPS, even those with the most powerful PC you can get. It's jsut a very poorly optimised game. I find the best settings to use are to set all the graphics options to very high, but have the sliders set to 0. I can average about 40FPS on these settings wioth highs of 80 (Rare, but it does happen).

Unfortunately a 660 will definitely not be able to run GTA IV on high settings with ease, mainly for the reasons listed above, but alos because the 660 is not a high end GPU per se.

Your GPU should (Theoretically) last you years providing you look after it. As I said above, games are made to be able to run on any hardware from a GT210 all the way up to a Titan, albeit a GT210 would probably only run games on the lowest settings and at 30FPS. =P But yes, your 660 will last you years. It is definitly far from a 'nooby' card. There are people out there still using 8800's!

Frenchyz

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
hey thanks dude for ya quick reply. if thats the case whatd you think about if i opted for a gtx 680 2gb gddr5 instead? for gta iv i mean.

grebgonebad

Distinguished
No problem, im at work at the minute with naff all to do so im just browsing toms. XD Oh what a life.

Obviously a 680 would be better than a 660, and you would admittadly get better performance in GTA IV, but its like I say, its a bad port and nobody can get decent frame rates out of it. =)

If you were looking into getting a 680, I would stronlgy suggest you get the EVGA FTW 670 instead, at this has the same full size PCB as the 680, and the same GPU, it actually IS a 680 just with a few bits disabled i tihnk. But you can easily OC the FTW 670 to beat the 680, performance wise. I've managed to make both of mine hit the same perforamance as the 770 before now. =)

Frenchyz

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
haha cool :p.

oh ok i see. well to be honest this rig isn't really a custom built one. its a hp envy h8-1401d but it comes with added 1tb n 8gb 1600 rams plus they throw in an hp 22xi ips monitor since the store where im buying it from just opened and its one of their grand opening promotions. its quite decent i mean i looked it up n stuff people commenting customs are better but this is kind of a bargain :S

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Well, if its a good enough deal then theres nothing wrong with buying a pre built. =) My first PC was a pre built Dell, cant even remeber the name of it I had it that long ago, but all I know is by the time I actually got rid of it the only thing left of the origional PC was the Hard drive. XD Ever since then I've just built my own, just ends up cheaper, plus you can get a sweet lookiong case with lights in, if thats what floats your boat, you know? =)

Frenchyz

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
yeah thats true XD.

i was originally planning to build my own but then i took into consideration this prebuilt one had windows 8 installed, bluetooth driver media card reader and all of that plus blue ray drive and wireless card and beats audio card so i thought those little components might make up for their price compared to custom built. 0_o

by the way, do you think there would be a significant difference between a gtx 660 1.5gb card 192-bit and a gtx 680 2gb 256-bit? like is it a huge difference to the point where i should opt for this card instead or just a slight difference in performance

thanks by the way :D