Sign in with
Your question

Fan attached to hard drive is very noisy..does it need to be cleaned or replaced?

Last response: in CPUs
October 2, 2013 6:53:15 AM

For about the last year my computer's fan in front of the hard drive has been loud at start up....sounds like and airplane warming up...now it does that off and on while computer is in use, does the fan need to be replaced or is it just dirty?
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2013 7:00:30 AM

I would suggest to clean it properly(spray some loosing oil between the blades and motor of the fan) and test again. If it still loud, replace it.
October 2, 2013 7:14:13 AM

TheMentalist said:
I would suggest to clean it properly(spray some loosing oil between the blades and motor of the fan) and test again. If it still loud, replace it.

Thank you for the advice...I try to keep the inside dusted, however, I haven't figured out how to get to this particular fan yet....but thought if i blew out around the hard drive it would help, guess not....so I'll keep trying to figure out how to get to it.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2013 7:48:50 AM

is it a brand pc? like dell or hp? or a custom built pc? Just asking cause dell pc's has special fans for their hdd's
October 2, 2013 12:32:35 PM

TheMentalist said:
is it a brand pc? like dell or hp? or a custom built pc? Just asking cause dell pc's has special fans for their hdd's

it's ok now, i was able to finally get to the fan and clean it good and so far it's running great, but if i have more trouble with it I guess it will have to be replaced....it was made by Cyberpower, don't know if that helps, the fan looks the size of 3 others that are in the machine and they're probably about 2 maybe 2 1/2". but right now it's running nice and quiet...so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!! Thanks for your input, i appreciate it!!
!