This is annoying!

Ok I have already complained about being thrown over to the .co.uk site every time I am in Europe. Now I had to go to the Bahamas for a day and posted from there last night and this morning. Of course being a part of the Commonwealth I end up with the .co.uk site although the Bahamas is a part of the Americas and I am pretty sure they do not go back to the UK for computer Hardware. Now I am back in Florida it is still throwing every other post on the. co.uk site. I have cleared the cached data!
My believe is this should be user selectable not a forced feature.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Similar problem here. But I am stationary in the US. Every time I answer a UK post, I am stuck on the UK site. Nothing wrong with the UK site, but things happen much quicker for me online if I can remain on the US site. So I am forced to reload my Tom's Hdwr link every time.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
The servers themselves don't change based on where you are, so there shouldn't be any latency issue for you. IP is a determinator for which iteration of the forum you see, and both are, in essence, the same.

Ok after a couple of reboots I am now getting on the .com server all the time. Just curios if it is IP derived why Bahamas default to .co.uk and why even after I am back in Florida I was defaulting there as well even writing in the address bar tomshardware.com/forum?

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
That was undoubtedly a caching issue. When you are away, directing traffic through a local ISP, your cache preserves a few things. Switching from the Bahamas back to Florida would change the routing, for sure, but your cache would take a bit to update (hence the reboots).