Can a Lenovo Ideapad Y510p run BF4?

Christianb2

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Alright, so I'm going to go ahead and let yall know that I am not the best or very good with PC specs and what they mean. So bf4 is coming out and I am planning on upgrading my laptop right after Christmas to one that can handle bf4. (the one I got now can't even handle bfbc2 haha) So anyway, I"ve been doing a lot of research and been talking to my PC building buddies ect. So far the for runner in laptops that I have found is the Ideapad Y510p by lenovo. http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop...#techspecs

It comes with a NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M 2GB with the option of a model with ultra bay to use two graphics cards (I"m sure yall know what I mean). Now the recommended graphics card for bf4 is the nvidia geforce GTX 660.

Now I have two questions that I haven't been able to get a straight answer on.

First, can the 750m handle bf4 and secondly is ultra bay worth the extra 200 that it will cost.

(I know some will tell me to build a desktop and I've thought about it and came to the conclusion that a laptop will serve me better with school, jobs, and life in general)

So for bf4 it is recommended to have 3gb of graphics storage but a single 750m has 2 gb. So I was wondering if I got the model with SLI and used two 750m's if that would split the load and then I would technically have 4gb of graphics storage. I don't know if it works like that or not but if someone could also clear this up I would appreciate it.

P.S. my budget is around a $1000

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I think it will play it and probably on fairly decent settings as well: http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=3060&game=Battlefield+4&p_make=Intel&p_deriv=Core+i7-4700MQ+4-Core+2.4GHz&gc_make=Nvidia&sli=1&gc_deriv=GeForce+GT+750M&ram=8&checkSubmit=#systemRequirements

...but the laptop will probably roast. If you do go for the SLI (2 graphics cards together) option, that will be 2 gpu pumping out heat, along with a 4 core cpu from a generation known to get toasty, with only a few small-ish vents, all crammed into a 15 inch laptop. Speaking as someone who played games (not BF4, but still games that that taxed the computer) on a 13 inch computer, things got hot really really fast, to the point where it could probably roast my hand a bit if I left it there. It definitely shut down due to heat a couple times. And that was with a less powerful gpu and cpu. Lenovo cooling isnt all that bad, but it isnt spectacular, and the big intake vent at the bottom of the y510p (assuming I'm right and it's simlar to my y410p) isn't in such a great place.

The reason (or at least one of them) why people recommend the desktop is that there is more space in there for airflow and cooling (along with higher-powered hardware), so that the cooling isnt so much an issue as the laptop. My desktop might get warm playing that game, but probably wouldnt get nearly as hot as a laptop, and I easily have more room for a better cpu cooler and/or more case fans if necessary.

And you don't get 4 gb, just 2 gb, see this: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1664529/vram-sli-double.html

If you really want a gaming laptop, check out asus' ROG line of laptops, I have heard good things about their cooling.

PsychoMuffin

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
This will be coming from a guy who's been actually using this computer to play the BF4 beta. I've been playing the game on High settings (With a few execptions of some on Medium, and some on Ultra). I'm able to run the game at 30-50 fps (haven't done a thorough enough examination) while also running fraps, livestreaming to twitch, and having a call on skype, and I'm only using the model with single gpu.
I'd highly recommend this computer for BF4 if you are on a tight budget.

EDIT: And from what I heard, the game will be running more smoothly as the full game releases since the graphics will be fully optimized.

TonyACG51

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
I got a Y470 with GT 550m, I play that game. Lower settings, but it works fine. Also I got the Cooler master laptop cooler, it works wonders pick it up.