ram percentage on windows 7

scottl908

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
i have a 8 gb ram, and when i'm idle. i use up 27 percent. Opening chrome i use 31 percent. is this normal??? I'm using windows 7

Zmokamok

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
you should not Wonder if your pc Begins to use more RAM, because Windows learns over time how to get the best use out of your RAM.
Empty RAM = wasted RAM.

What do you mean by this ^ ? First time I heard of Windows learning how to use the RAM more efficiently on it's own. Programs may go into a low usage mode and use less RAM after the computer was on for a bit, like utilities that check for updates. They run at start, use more RAM then once they do a check, the RAM usage by them drops.

To check RAM usage, just open up task manager, sort by RAM and you can see what's using it. If you have no issues, you could just have a bunch of programs starting up in the background, if you DO have issues, run a virus/spyware scan.

@hang the 9 -- I believe he is talking about windows prefetch which retrieves and loads frequently used programs and info from the HDD into idle ram so that it is already loaded when needed and will optimize the loaded info based on previous memory usage and how it is stored on the HDD(ie. learns what to load based on historical usage patterns and relative placement on the HDD platters) - which is why windows will show that it is using more RAM than previous versions of the OS in many reporting programs (since when polled the memory space is reported as in use but may actually be being used as a temp. storage space that will be freed if needed by another program so the reporting of Free RAM and % in use is skewed and does not really accurately reflect how much RAM is in use by programs and services on the system.