First Build. Need Some Pointers Please.

General_Miller

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Hi everyone. I'm just starting to get into building a pc. I've spent about a month researching various parts etc and I've finally come up with this list of parts. It isn't totally complete yet but I just wanted to check I'm on the right path and all this hardware will fit together nicely and be reasonably high spec. I do plan on over clocking the CPU eventually.

CASE: Zalman Z11 Plus Midi Tower Case.

MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V LK Motherboard.

CPU: Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K CPU (4 x 3.40GHz, Ivy Bridge, Socket 1155, 6Mb L3 Cache, Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0).

RAM: Corsair RAM CML16GX3M2A1600C10 Vengeance Low Profile 16GB (2x8GB).

PSU: Corsair Builder Series CXM 600W Modular 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX/EPS.

GPU 1: Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX660 2GB DDR5 PCI-E Graphics Card.

GPU 2: Might not get one but if I do it will be same as above.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

dottorrent

Honorable
That Zalman case has very loud fans. I suggest getting this one, as a PC gamer wants a nice silent system. Go for this one -

Fractal Design Core 3000 Midi tower chassis - http://pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-case-fdcacore3000usb3bl

This case comes with silent series fans, so they keep quiet and keep the system cool inside for your components. It also features a fan controller unlike the Zalman, albeit a basic PCI slot fan controller but it's better than nothing really. Everything else looks very nice indeed.

A few pointers now. I advise you to invest in an anti-static wrist band for the installation of your components. Static can destroy your components as they are so sensitive to static electricity, even a slight hovering of your charged finger can kill your component. Secondly, install your components slowly. Rushing to complete your system can lead to issues and potential damage to components, so take your time. Finally, I also advise you invest in an aftermarket cooler, if you're overclocking your CPU. The Intel stock heat sink is not good for overclocking. I recommend this heat sink for your overclocking CPU -

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Heat sink - http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

Follow the installation guide to installing your heat sink and you should be fine.

I hope this helps you building your home built PC successfully and safely.

General_Miller

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Thanks for your advice. Glad you mentioned the static wrist band. Would have been a bummer to spend £150+ o a part and then have it break in my hands lol.

I've also added the case and cooler to my favourites and I will definitely look into them in more detail.

Thanks for your great advice!