Can my psu handle my new graphics card?

svarlu

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Okay so I ordered a Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 1GB graphics card a little while ago. My pc isn't a dedicated gaming system at all but it's all I have now as my actual gaming laptop got stolen. It's just a regular Lenovo desktop so I'm just guessing that it probably has around 250w. My question is, after I install my new graphics card, will I need to upgrade my psu? I was planning on doing it, but not immediately because I don't really have the money (life of a college student, right?) So can I play games without a more powerful one for awhile? Btw, I don't plan on doing much heavy gaming or even playing online since it isn't a gaming pc

Prithwi2050

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
With a branded PSU of 250W that should not be a problem. However local produces tend to be half efficient of what's written on cover. So just check the label out to see what's the brand and let us know. The 7750 has a really low TDP and a branded PSU of 250W should not be a problem at all..

IRONBATMAN

Honorable
Don't worry about and wires. The HD 7750 doesn't require you to connect any wires from the PSU to the GPU.

I agree with @prithwi , but do check if the PSU is 80 plus certified. You save more on electrical bills when it's 80 plus certified.

The best PSU brand should be Seasonic , but if you want something cheap and good , get Corsair's PSUs. The CX430 would be enough for the HD 7750

svarlu

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

Ahh okay I didn't know that. And the brand is Liteon.

svarlu

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

Alright thanks :)

svarlu

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

Not really sure how old it is since it's refurbished, but it seems pretty newish so probably no more than like 2 years I'd say. (I't s a Lenovo h430 if that helps)
And I couldn't find that on the sticker so I'll just add a picture haha
http://imgur.com/sNvVjtv

Yup, your "250W" PSU can only output 216W on the 12v rail, which is the rail that powers pretty much everything.

Assuming it hasnt degraded too badly and can actually output what it says on the sticker, I think you would be fine to throw a 7750 in there. I would err on the side of caution though and get yourself a decent PSU to go along with the GPU. This is a fairly good cheap option.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

svarlu

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

Alright thank you so much :) and I'll definitely be upgrading my psu next month.