How wrong can a PC build go?

Obliviousmeat

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Hi!
I'm thinking of building a PC for Christmas but I'm kind of scared of how wrong it could go. I have a friend who says that it is really easy to build one, but there's some people on here that tell me that it can be challenging.
Also I'm rather anxious of how wrong it could go?, I mean, if I got something wrong, is the whole thing off?
Any info on about how hard it is, and if it can go wrong, and how to build one would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I have built many PCs with nothing bad happening at all.

Any monkey with a screw driver can do it.

If you meed up and bend a CPU pin then you are pretty well screwed but you would have to almost do it intentionally for it to happen.

Take your time and do not worry. It is VERY easy. Watch some youtube tutorails.

Dangerousret

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

How much greese do you normally put on the CPU when putting on the heatsink?

He did do just a little more than usual, but its still alright. Once you put the CPU cooler on the computer, the pressure of it pushing down on the processor will spread the paste enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

This is a great video from Newegg showing how to build a computer. If you pick the proper parts (especially a reliable power supply, my favorite part) the build should go smoothly.

One thing to note is to not touch connectors. Its not like the computer is going to break if you do, but I would recommend against touching the graphics card connectors (the gold plated parts) as well as the bottom of the processor where the gold parts are.

Youtubegamefox

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Building a PC is a very simple process as all you need is a screw driver that is non-magnetized and be sure to keep static off of you by touching a metal PC case. To begin you must post your PC to make sure the GPU, Ram , CPU, and Motherboard work, find how to do this on you-tube. Then you move the CPU and motherboard into the case and screw it down until it stays still and does not wobble. Next is to install all the wires from the power supply to go to your Hard Drives, Fans, Motherboard, CPU fan, and of course the case wiring for usb and sound. This can be found on you-tube also. Then install windows and go on your way. Be sure to mount everything and double check that you have not bent any pins or if anything is DOA. All can be found on you-tube. Cheers on your future builds!

I always use a magnetized screwdriver. Gets annoying losing screws in those crevices.

Youtubegamefox

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

This is ok if as long as you do not leave it sitting on top of a hard drive for long periods of time, I just avoid using magnetized just in case of any issue

Makes sense. Sometimes with a larger CPU cooler, attaching the motherboard is rather difficult, so the magnetized helps. My first computer was built with a non magnetized wooden handled screwdriver lol.