HP DV6 Laptop Motherboard won't receive power with or without battery

Yusuf Modan

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Two year old DV6 stopped working entirely, no lights, no beeping, no power. The laptop wouldn't turn on, I did a hard reset by pressing power button for a few minutes and it didn't work. I tested my power supply cord with a multimeter, got about 9 Volts and then I proceeded to take apart the laptop to inspect the Motherboard.

I suspected the entire motherboard to be defective however when I took the laptop apart, only leaving the motherboard in tact I plugged in the power supply cord and I got a light on the power jack indicating the computer was receiving power. I then turned it on and the laptop worked. however after connecting the hard-drive and putting the computer back together it stopped working again.

Every time I take apart the laptop it works fine but when put back together I get no power.
My question is if it where a bad power jack would a fully charged battery be able to turn on the computer? I have used a fully charged battery but it didn't work.

Thank You

Hi, if the laptop is functioning with the adapter or the battery when disassembled, and when you reassemble the laptop, you have no power, I suspect you have a bad solder somewhere on the board.

Yusuf Modan

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

Thank you jarotech. Do you know if it would be possible to pinpoint what area or the exact solder that would need to be worked on?

If assemble you have no power, even the power light. When disassembled, verified the voltage from the power jack, and follow the trace, at the same time bend the pc board. If you are on the defective trace the voltage will drop to zero.