Spanning windows 8 system disk, SSD

clayton02884

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Hello, i am quite fluent in I.T, yet have a question for the community if anyone could help at all possible.

I have a laptop, with SDD 120GB containing windows 8, and another HDD 500GB, for just data. However, i don't want 2 separate partitions.

i would like both drives, combined for ultimate convenience. SPEED IS NOT AN ISSUE.
i have no interest in the SDD performance rates. as the laptop is for leisure use only.

i would actually rather have 1 single 620GB HDD.

anyhow, i know of the 'system spanning' options within windows, for dynamic disks, which sounds troubling. and the other option of 'RAID 0' which seems more complex.

as for the possibility of losing both drives if one fails, that is not a problem because it is a new laptop, and i'm sure the life of these drives will have plenty of years in them.

I even considered cloning the pre-installed data from the SSD onto the larger drive, and use the smaller drive as back-up.

any answers, i appreciate and thank you in advance.

popatim

Titan
Are you good at following your backup routine? I cant think of anything that doesnt put your data at increased risk of being unrecoverable if a drive fails.

What you can do is create mount points. What Ive done for some users is to partition the hdd into several parts and then mount those as the the common system folders: Program Files, Program Files (x86), & Users. I also create a 4th partition to mount and use for temp and downloads.

Depending on the type of user you are selecting the size of the partitions will vary. Photographers/Videographers needs lots of space in their user folder while gamers will need it in their Program Files (x86).

The original folders will need to be empty before you can create the mount points to the partitions and you will have to do the setup work thru the command line. Many files would be in use by windows otherwise.

TRENDING THREADS