Need help with proper liquid cooling setup for pre-built computer

Schewe

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2013
My HP Pavilion HPE h9-1100z plays games on max graphics like a charm, but from what I can discern as a poor design choice, the case does not vent heat efficiently. I noticed that hot air was being trapped in the space between the wall and the back of the computer (where the only exhaust fan on the tower is located). I bought a small Thermaltake USB fan to pull the air out of this area, however the normally quiet-as-a-mouse fans continue to get jet-engine loud at times when playing certain games, mind you it hasn't done this in the past for the same games it does now.

I went ahead and purchased a Corsair H60 liquid cooler and have been mulling over what the most efficient and non-CPU-melting installation configuration would be.

So finally, my question; should I have the Corsair H60 pulling air into the case, or pushing air out?

Here are my concerns regarding each:
Intake: Since this would be pulling cooler air into the case it would be better for the CPU but I worry about the air not escaping through the vents on the case and instead heating up the other components.

Exhaust: This would be blowing hot air through the radiator and I worry it may not cool the water efficiently.

If anybody has any good suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Some images:
Right side (two vents + window)
For some reason, HP thought it would be a good idea to cover the only large vent with a plastic window.
CPU fan + exhaust fan
Right side (open)
Exhaust fan/back + GPU exhaust vent

Additionally, some system specs if it may help diagnose any other issues:

AMD FX-8120 (8-core, 3.10 GHz)
10GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7950 (3GB VRAM)

Really, the best cooling upgrade you could make at this point is a better case. Liquid cooling wont do anything if its starved for airflow.

Have the cooler exhaust air, you dont want to be dumping that heat into the case, especially given on that HP case there's nowhere for it to go anyway.

ddbtkd456

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
Whats the components of your case? Just curious as switching cases might be an option, then i would be able to suggest a better airflow and liquid cooling for your gaming? I hope this helps answer your question a little bit better. Also please remember to select your best answer so that others may learn from your thread. Remember that you can contact me anytime about any questions or concerns you might have about things in the future. Thank you for your time and have a pleasant day/night.

Schewe

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2013
Thanks for the responses; sorry it took me a while to get back with anything. I figured --and feared-- that switching cases might be the only option. I have neither the funds nor the patience to invest in and move all the components to a new case.

I did come to a resolution-- one that I envisioned only as a last resort but regardless it solved the overheating issue. I was able to remove (and by remove I mean destroy) the plastic window on the side of the case, providing the CPU with a direct line of cool air to intake. It now rarely rises above 45°C under heavy load. This poor design choice on HP's part still baffles me.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Schewe

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2013

Destroyed the window, not the case. The thin frame around the large vent on the side housed the plastic window and was easily removed. Took an hour or so to cut the plastic window out of the frame and had to chop it up in many pieces, hence what I mean by 'destroyed'.

Here's the picture I already posted above and the after picture. You won't even notice a difference.

Schewe

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2013

Will do! But I'd say it isn't any more susceptible to dust or electricity than it already is with the stock vents or would be with an intake fan. :)