Power Supply Unit keeps blowing

boxman80

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Hi guys, I'm having problems with my PSU constantly blowing! I've blown 3 in the past 5-6 months now and worried I've got a serious hardware problem.

I built the system end of last year for gaming.

Main components;
AMD FX-8350
1GB MSI HD7850 R7850-1GD5(Over clocked version)
GByte GA-990XA-UD3 Mainboard
2x 4GB Corsair DDR3 1866 MHz
Alpine 700W Blue PSU - 12cm Fan

I know the PSU is a cheap one and I've blown two of these, but the third oen I blew wasa bit better quality and more expensive. Im relucant to get another for it to just blow in a couple of weeks!

Now I do think the issue is heat/load related as it seems to blow when gaming and/or when the room temperature is high. I am running the stock cooler that came withthe processor, whioch I also know needs replacing witha better cooler as the 8350 is running as hot as the sun!

Anyway, Im just wondering , cooler/ventilation aside, is there anyhting else I am missing that could be causing this problem? Is the card drawing too much power for instance? Maybe the PSU being 700w is far too big? I don';t know I just want to get this fixed before I spend more money on the solution. Cheers

boxman80

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Alpine 700W cheap quality crap really, but also my older 600w PSU from my previous rig which was of better quality (cant remember make now sorry) but this also blew within weeksof use.

boxman80

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Yea was wondering if there were any other factors or possible solutions other than the heat (which is clearly an issue too) that be causing the issue, just before I go splashing out more money. Just im not 100% certain it's blowing purely because of heat (it wasnt running that hot last night when it went). I know heat is a factor, hence me needing to get a better cpu fan, but was wondering if anyone could think of any other hardware issues that could be casuing the PSU to blow when the computer is under pressure. Cheers

boxman80

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Yea was wondering if there were any other factors or possible solutions other than the heat (which is clearly an issue too) that be causing the issue, just before I go splashing out more money. Just im not 100% certain it's blowing purely because of heat (it wasnt running that hot last night when it went). I know heat is a factor, hence me needing to get a better cpu fan, but was wondering if anyone could think of any other hardware issues that could be casuing the PSU to blow when the computer is under pressure. Cheers

boxman80

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Got a better PSU now and fitted it as well as another system fan and a better CPU cooler. System is not over heating at all now but when running graphically intense games the system is now crashing out.

Im beginning to think there's something wrong with the graphics card that may have been causing the cheaper PSU's to blow.

Any advice?