R9 280/280X vs Asus Matrix platinum 7970 3gb

Here´s the question i cant find answer... since its already almost official that R290 will be priced as 700$, and in my country will be about 700€ too, so i assume that the 280X/280 will be around 550€~600€? my question is i can buy an Asus matrix for 380€, its far less comparing to R series, should i go for the Asus Matrix or wait until the R series go out?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew
15 answers Last reply
More about 280 280x asus matrix platinum 7970 3gb
  1. Just wait for the new series to be released.
    From what you wrote, I`m not sure what you want to buy, but at this point in time, waiting is the best thing to do.
    The price for the old cards should also decrease a bit, so that might come in handy.
  2. Well im holding my hd4870 since 2008, think i can hold a cople of days, hope the price goes down, or even better the R series come out with a more affordable price... that would be the cherry on top! Thanks for the answer, im new around but i´ve been using this forum a lot to get precious info :)
  3. The 280x reference card is $300 and Asus DCU2 is priced at $310. It is the 7970 GE just slightly faster. Good buy in my opinion.
  4. in which country you live ?
  5. Marcopolo123 said:
    in which country you live ?

US. Also they are coming out with a Matrix platinum that's a 280x.
  6. No price on the matrix platinum 280x but if it's closer to $300 I'm buying that for sure.
  7. 280X is about 300 euros here (the netherlands), I would prefer it over the 7970 because of the new 'mantle' api that AMD is so proud of...
    Remember the graphics core of the 280X is the same as a 7970, these two can be run in crossfire if you want.

So I'd rather wait for the R-series because you will get about the same performance with a longer lifetime because of some newer technology for only a little bit more money.
  8. Mantle also supports the HD 7xxx series.
  9. Mantle also supports the HD 7xxx series.
  10. Pr3di said:
    Mantle also supports the HD 7xxx series.

oops lol forgot about that... yea they do... but still newer cards are usually better especially if it doesn't cost a lot more it's usually worth it.
  11. Cyler12 said:
    The 280x reference card is $300 and Asus DCU2 is priced at $310. It is the 7970 GE just slightly faster. Good buy in my opinion.

+1 to this.

I really recommend the Asus DC2, since it's a great buy for just a tad more pennies.

Also, every GCN cards (7xxx and comming ones) are under the MANTLE umbrella. The only thing the 7xxx series lack (except the 7790) is TrueAudio; not a deal killer IMO. Hell, according to AMD (check Tom's article) you can XFire the 280X with the 7970s (GE and standard).

If you want to buy a 280X, then you can as well get a sweet deal on a 7970.

In my opinion, you'll only have to wait for just 2 reasons: you want nVidias response (cheaper GTX'es for example) or for stock clearance (which should have started already) that lower old stuff prices.

Cheers!
  12. Also only the HD 7xxx's come with the games bundle
  13. Pr3di said:
    Also only the HD 7xxx's come with the games bundle

how do you know this?
  14. The all mighty google. The 200 series will have no bundle until the 7xxx stock is sold
  15. Yuka said:
    Cyler12 said:
    The 280x reference card is $300 and Asus DCU2 is priced at $310. It is the 7970 GE just slightly faster. Good buy in my opinion.

+1 to this.

I really recommend the Asus DC2, since it's a great buy for just a tad more pennies.

Also, every GCN cards (7xxx and comming ones) are under the MANTLE umbrella. The only thing the 7xxx series lack (except the 7790) is TrueAudio; not a deal killer IMO. Hell, according to AMD (check Tom's article) you can XFire the 280X with the 7970s (GE and standard).

If you want to buy a 280X, then you can as well get a sweet deal on a 7970.

In my opinion, you'll only have to wait for just 2 reasons: you want nVidias response (cheaper GTX'es for example) or for stock clearance (which should have started already) that lower old stuff prices.

Cheers!

exactly what i meant, so seems pretty obvious that this isn't really the best moment to buy a new card :P But better times are ahead, maybe you can benefit from holiday season discounts?
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Platinum Matrix Graphics