System upgrade: old PSU only has 4 and 6pin but new MB has 8pin?

GarethA

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Hi

I'm upgrading from dual-core AMD to Intel 2nd gen i7 quad-core in the next few days but have a problem. My new Asus mb has a long 24pin power socket (like my old mb) and an 8pin power socket labelled EATX12V (I was told this was to supply power to cpu only, correct?) but the 550w PSU I want to carry on using connected to my old Asus mb with a 4pin. I checked around the case and found there was also a 6pin that wasn't being used but no 8pin to connect to my new mb. Are there splitters/converters to go from both 4-8pins and 6-8pins and if so what would be best to use if there is a better option of the two?

Thanks.

ihog

Distinguished
Can you give us the make and model of the PSU? Because you probably should just get a new one.

I want to say you can just plug the 4-pin, CPU-power connector into half of the 8-pin socket, but I'm not sure. Can you post the make and model of the new motherboard?

GarethA

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

It's a HEC-550TD-PTE.

ihog

Distinguished
Eh, I'd get a new PSU either way. That thing doesn't look very reliable.

Also, you didn't answer my second question. If you're gonna get a new PSU anyway, though, it doesn't matter.

If not overclocking, you can connect the 4 pin to the 8 pin one:
http://s11.postimg.org/414beevpv/8_pin_EATX12_V_motherboard_power_connection.png

GarethA

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

Yes I didn't think it was of high quality however I've used it for 8 years with my Athlon 4800 64 x2 system and have not had to replace it but I do have a problem these days when if I turn off the pc and turn it back on in a short period of time say within an hour to 2 hours of turning it off the system comes on but will not display anything on the monitor (which says No Signal) so I disconnect the cord and wait a while before it will display the bios, could it be an issue with the PSU?

My new mb is the Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3.

Thanks Alex, wouldn't it be more wise as a permanent solution to buy a 4pin to 8pin cable and use that as I read that i7's need better grounding (or something) which the 8pin connection gives?

Edit: Just checked for what my new system will need on Extreme Outervision psu checker it is recommending 352w with no overclocking selected which seems a bit low to me with no overclocking selected. HOWEVER checking with Asus says 'Your Recommended Minimum Power Supply is 500 Watts'. I'm thinking of getting a 600w Corsair/OCZ but not at the moment unless I start having problems that is!

GarethA

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

For the moment my old couple of Asus Geforce 6600 GTs although I don't really use SLI with them on my current system as I have 2 monitors that are being powered by each of the cards using DVI. I might upgrade to something like a GTX 650 or Radeon HD 7750 in the coming months if I decide to want to play some newer games, currently I only play old games like GTASA/MTA.

Edit: Reading the new mb manual apparently I can use a 4pin from psu to mb 8pin so that kinda answers my original question I guess though I'm still not sure it's wise with my cpu so may just get a new psu with 8pin anyway.