New build woes

elektrisk564

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Hi guys. Building my first computer and I have run into a problem. I have the CPU, heatsink/fan, RAM, and video card installed. Plugged in my PSU for a test run and the fan would spin for a few seconds then turn off. Motherboard wasn't receiving power as evidenced by no lights on motherboard / video card wasn't communicating with monitor / CPU fan wasn't spinning.

I went out and bought a new PSU (which I can return!) and tried it out, and it isn't even spinning when I flip on the power switch. I made sure the cables are connected securely on the motherboard.

At a loss, I'm considering just putting everything in my case and seeing if it magically fires up. Don't really know what else to do at this point.

These are my specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG GH24LS70 DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser Mouse

g-unit1111

Titan
Sounds like something is shorting out your motherboard. Did you install the Hyper 212 correctly? Sometimes with CPU fans if you install the backplate incorrectly, it can cause all kinds of problems. I learned that the hard way. :lol:

elektrisk564

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Hi everyone. Thanks for your help. This is going to make me look REAL stupid, but I wasn't hitting the 'power' button on my motherboard because I assumed the PSU wasn't on since the fan wasn't spinning. Once I hit the power button, the fan started spinning and my CPU fan/video card started working, as did my motherboard LED lights. I've got my video card working with my monitor and RAM is detected. I'm going to put everything in the case, install my HD/optical drive, and see if everything works like it should. I'll post back if I have any more trouble. This is with the PSU I bought today, btw. I think I might either a) keep the other PSU as a backup assuming it was user-error that it wasn't working, or b) try to RMA it, but I don't think I can get a refund.. only exchange faulty ones.