Windows 8 laptop detects wifi networks other than my own

Willy156

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013
Hey I have a 3 weeks old Acer Aspire V5 472 non touch screen laptop. It had no problems wifi but it stopped detecting my own wifi on October 3rd. Even my phone is able to connect to my wifi. The laptop can detect and access anyother wifi networks with no problem, but it does not detect my very own. Please help!

Willy156

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013
I'm unable to do that right now, so I'll do it tomorrow. However, I was able to check my network profiles by using this in command prompt : netsh wlan show profiles
And I saw my network there. Then I deleted it, but the network still does not show up on my wifi list.

Willy156

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013
Okay, so I reboot my router and it showed up on my wifi list for my laptop. However, when I enter the password it says cannot connect and then when I uncheck "connect automatically" and tried again but to no sucess. then the network name suddenly disappeared, again..

Check for a firmware update for the router and re-load the wifi driver from the laptop support site. If that does not help, you should try to test with a few more computers (or at least another one) and see if maybe there is an issue with the router. I had a router that went bad but only with wifi connections, it would disconnect a lot, but worked fine for at least a year before it started to go bad.