Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

If replacing the fans, does which brand I get matter?

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Computers
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
October 4, 2013 12:12:11 PM

I plan on purchasing a GTX 770 for my computer, and hope to be installing a water cooling loop in the near future. Because I plan on replacing the fans anyways, does it matter which brand I go for? In other words, are all the brands the same in terms of performance if you take the fans out of the equation?

More about : replacing fans brand matter

October 4, 2013 2:03:32 PM

brands does matter,as per the brand quality&performance of the cooling system changes on the other hand it effect on buget also,
if i would have to chose for brand for my cooling system i would go with cooler master ..
October 4, 2013 2:08:05 PM

haocow said:
I plan on purchasing a GTX 770 for my computer, and hope to be installing a water cooling loop in the near future. Because I plan on replacing the fans anyways, does it matter which brand I go for? In other words, are all the brands the same in terms of performance if you take the fans out of the equation?

Are you asking us to recommend you a list of well known fan brands, as it's a little hard to tell. If so, I hear good things about the following fan makers:

-BitFenix
-Corsair
-Noctua
-Akasa
-Enermax

There are more, and if you give us the size of fan you require I'm sure we can help with recommendations too.

Best Regards
Luke
Related resources
October 4, 2013 7:23:32 PM

Sorry for any confusion about my question. I meant to say that I plan on replacing any fans or anything on my graphics card with water cooling. Thus, would it matter which graphics card I got, disregarding any differences in cooling (as I would be swapping it out regardless)
a c 155 U Graphics card
October 4, 2013 7:39:29 PM

Not really.
Most GPU waterblocks are designed for AMD/Nvidia reference design PCB's. They manufacture the card, ship them to ASUS/Gigabyte/MSI/whoever and they slap their cooler and name on it and sell it on to you. So when your looking between reference design cards, brand doesn't matter as they are all the same once you remove the cooler.

However it is worth pointing out that brands offer higher tier cards within their own lineup, and that represents its "bin" or quality. Higher binned cards may yield you better overclocking.
October 4, 2013 7:53:51 PM

ah perfect, thank you so much, manofchalk!
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2013 1:31:40 PM

Manofchalk has made some excellent pointers but to add:
Apart from binning procedures most cards are also made on non reference PCB's due to the ongoing fad of being one better than the competition. Since milling a block for every card out there with a non reference PCB is very costly, most of the boards/gpu's are left out. Mind you if you are looking into overclocking, a full cover block on a reference PCB'd GPU can yield good results as you're not going to be setting any world records of sorts unless you're getting the hardware for records :) 

Similarly you could checkup with EK on their Thinkcell pages, as most of the discussion over there gives rise to new block ideas and possible some one off blocks.

EK just recently announced they have a full cover waterblock in the works for the Galaxy GTX780 HOF card(which is in white custom PCB). Looking back a few weeks ago it was only an idea passed off on a thread until people caught onto the idea and EK took notes.

In short, if you do your research well, you can end up the happy camper :D