Sign in with
Your question

How do I set up multiple internal storage drives?

Last response: in Storage
October 5, 2013 12:42:38 AM

I can't find anything that is easy enough for me to understand online so I came here! How do I get 2 separate SSDs and a HDD to all work correctly with the CPU and all of the software stuff? ie. the BIOS and making sure nothing in them will get jumbled around..
This is a brand new gaming rig.. And I don't know how to do this correctly, and I don't want to ruin anything.

Additional Info:

I want 1 SSD for OS only. The other SSD for certain games, and the HDD for just other games and stuff. Thank you! I hope I am in the right area, and I apologize if this is a duplicate question.
a c 96 G Storage
October 5, 2013 6:20:23 AM

First, connect the SSD that you want as your C: drive to another computer and format this drive NTFS. Then complete your new gaming computer build and install the OS to this drive (so far you have only one SSD drive so the OS will automatically be installed on this drive). Connect this SSD to SATA port 0; this has the highest priority during bootup.

Next connect the second SSD and the HDD to other available SATA ports paying attention to SATA II and SATA III ports. Your motherboard will clearly state which is which. Connect the second SSD to SATA III port.

Restart the computer and get into the BIOS (or UEFI) and activate the ports that you connected the SSD and the HDD to.

Restart the computer and once again get into the BIOS. Now navigate to Device Manager and NTFS format the second SSD and then the HDD.

Restart the computer. Now all your disks will show up.

When you install programs or games, select the disk that you want the program to be installed in (main SSD or the second SSD or the HDD). You will have to do this every time you install a new program or else the system will default to the disk selected previously.

To keep things simple I suggest that all programs including games be installed on a large enough SSD, and use one or more HDDs to store files, data, photos, music, videos, etc.
October 5, 2013 11:08:01 AM

Ubrales said:
First, connect the SSD that you want as your C: drive to another computer and format this drive NTFS. Then complete your new gaming computer build and install the OS to this drive (so far you have only one SSD drive so the OS will automatically be installed on this drive). Connect this SSD to SATA port 0; this has the highest priority during bootup.

Next connect the second SSD and the HDD to other available SATA ports paying attention to SATA II and SATA III ports. Your motherboard will clearly state which is which. Connect the second SSD to SATA III port.

Restart the computer and get into the BIOS (or UEFI) and activate the ports that you connected the SSD and the HDD to.

Restart the computer and once again get into the BIOS. Now navigate to Device Manager and NTFS format the second SSD and then the HDD.

Restart the computer. Now all your disks will show up.

When you install programs or games, select the disk that you want the program to be installed in (main SSD or the second SSD or the HDD). You will have to do this every time you install a new program or else the system will default to the disk selected previously.

To keep things simple I suggest that all programs including games be installed on a large enough SSD, and use one or more HDDs to store files, data, photos, music, videos, etc.

This is the clearest instruction I have seen; thank you! This will make it so much easier! And I can finally get to gaming! Thank you so much for the speedy reply and the easy-to-understand instructions!
Related resources
!