Is a 120Hz Monitor worth it with only 1 GPU?

is a 120Hz worth replacing a 60Hz Monitor?

• Yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

aajohnny

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Hey,
I've been sitting on the fence debating on whether to get a 120Hz monitor or not but I haven't hopped over yet... I've heard that 120Hz monitors are useless unless you are at 100 fps or more... is that true? wouldn't it still be better regardless compared to a 60Hz monitor? (Which I have)

For example: If I'm getting 80fps instead of 100+fps wouldn't I still see the difference in a 120Hz over my 60Hz? I'm a bit confused as to if I actually NEED 100+fps to see a difference.

One more question: My computer specs are a i7 processor,8gb ram and 2gb gtx 680 (I am using dual monitors as well and both are 60Hz) would a 120Hz monitor hinder performance? is it that costly on my system?

Also if you have any good experiences or have a "pitch" on why a 120Hz is good or bad I'd love to hear it.

Thanks everyone

Will you see a big difference? Some people see it more than others, but almost everyone notices the responsiveness benefit. With Lightboost on, everyone seems to clamor about how good it looks with it's 0 motion blur, so when you turn, everything remains crisp.

For me, 120hz with 80+ FPS removes simulator sickness that I normally get in 1st person games. I used to get nauseated when I gamed in 1st person, now I don't, unless I use 3D Vision (I have to take breaks after 30-60 mins).

3D Vision is also a very nice perk. I personally like it a lot, but it does require it to be setup properly to shine.

aajohnny

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Okay thanks, the thing that gets me is the single GPU. Am I going to have to go Low graphics on every game just to even notice a difference? I heard its performance costly.

tman2damax11

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
I would say yes, because Even if your not getting 120fps, maybe 80 or 90, you can still physically see every frame over 60fps when you wouldn't be able to see on 60hz monitor, which won't look as smooth as full 120fps, but still smoother than 60fps.

You may want to use high settings, rather than very high or ultra, but you usually don't lose much image quality between high and ultra these days. In some games, medium almost looks as good as ultra.

As games get more advanced, the higher image quality stuff is harder to notice.

I personally would rather use lower settings for higher FPS (80+).