which Memtest86+ do i use?

Grant Rusk

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
I've been having crashes with sound loops so I wanted to see if it's my RAM that is the problem, unfortunately I have no idea which Memtest86+ to download or how to use it. Please Help! Thanks

RealBeast

Titan
The latest one from HERE, great and free. Download, burn to a CD (yes just a CD), and then boot from it. Let it run a few passes, if you have no errors you are fine.

I often use it with overclocked memory to see if it is stable at the set voltage, I also always use it to diagnose potential memory problems, hardware related or just bad bios settings for the memory, like timings too tight.

Grant Rusk

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
when i tried to BOOT it, a new window came up saying: "This file is invalid for use as the following: Security Catalog"

What does this mean?

Grant Rusk

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
yes i did burn the disc not just copy and pasted it.

I used the 'Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)' download, is this the wrong one?

Grant Rusk

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
I had the same issue, it said "This file is invalid for use as the following: Security Catalog"

I do have a full virus scan going on, is that a problem?

Or is it the disc im using?

Grant Rusk

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
sorry, but all i did was open the folder that said BOOT, then double clicked BOOT. I also don't know what bios is or what a optical drive is or how to get there.

I'm really sorry, i am a noob when it comes to computers

RealBeast

Titan
No problem, we all learn this stuff the same way at some point -- by making mistakes. :)

What model and brand computer or motherboard? Usually, you can hit the delete key during boot to enter the bios or use an F key (like F2 or F12) during boot to boot from a specific device, but it can depend on your computer brand.

The optical drive is just another name for a CD or DVD or BluRay drive since it uses an optical laser to read and write.

RealBeast

Titan
Then just hit the delete key when the bios is starting on the screen, go to the section of the bios configuration where the boot device order is selected and put the CD/DVD number one and the HDD as number two. Save and exit the bios. Then just slip the disk in before the bios is done and it will boot into memtest.

Grant Rusk

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
When i was in BIOS there was no HDD, and there was 2 CD/DVD ones. and when you said to put the disk in before BIOS is done, do you mean, when i hit save and exit and it's frozen for a bit is when i put the disk in?

instead of memtest86+ starting up LogMeIn Hamachi started up

RealBeast

Titan
Not sure why you have DC/DVD set twice as a boot device (do you have more than one optical drive?), but as long as CD/DVD is first it should work. Take a look at your manual on the settings for your bios boot devices for specific guidance on that.