ATI radeon pci graphics card not working in gateway 505gr

bws678

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013
Second question for the day: Why won't my ATI graphics card work in my gateway 505gr? My PCI Radeon graphics card boots up my gateway, then stops right before the computer starts up. It just shows the windows xp screen for about five minutes with the front led glowing then restarts. Very annoying. It would be awesome to hear a solution for this. Thanks for the help.

Melderv

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
I had that problem and I would check how the card functions before moving on. Is it getting too hot? Are the fans working? Could be a power supply problem? Anything wrong with your PCI-e slot? Do you have any other card or an iGPU to make sure it's the ATI card that's at fault?

bws678

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013

The card works in another computer. It is a PCI. Not a PCI express. All fans working in the case. However, the card just has a heat sink. Just replaced PSU. No change whatsoever. Thanks for the help.

Melderv

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
So the card works in another computer. The only question is if a different card works in your slot, then. And no problem.

bws678

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013

Unfortunately this is my only PCI card. So I would have no idea if the slot is good. Thanks for the help. Would you be able to answer my other question?

bws678

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013
For some reason, the motherboard doesn't accept any graphics card with original hard drive installed. Tried another hard drive and the motherboard accepted only PCI express. Not PCI. I guess it was never compatible with PCI.