Will the Nvidia GTX 770M (mobile) outperform the Nvidia GTX 470 (desktop)

basti511

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Since I will be going to university soon I won't be able to take along a desktop PC I plan on buying a gaming laptop with the 2.4-GHz Intel Core i7-4700HQ Haswell processor and the Nvidia GTX 770M. Will I see a performance increase in games like BF3, BF4, Metro Last LIght, Bioshock Infinite etc. over the GTX 470 and Intel Core i5 750 2,6 GHz quad core?

CraigN

Distinguished
Why can't you bring your desktop to college? I did while I was at college. You just can't bring it to class with you :p

You will most likely see *equivalent* performance.. But I'm not sure I would bet on a performance increase. A GTX 780M falls between a GTX 660 and a GTX 760 desktop card. Which means the 770 is a good bit slower than either of those. I'd say you might see a *slight* increase because of hyperthreading on the i7 and such, but it's a safer bet to say at the very least you won't see a decrease in performance.

Quick Edit: If you want a more direct comparison, here:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-770M.88995.0.html

This'll show you some benchmarked framerates. you can compare to the framerates you're getting on your old desktop.
That being said, I played the BF4 Beta on my ASUS G750JX with a 770M and it ran smooth as butter, so, I think you should be fine.