Buying a NAS : Synology or ZFS ?

G

Hi !

I'm a college student. I'm currently studying electronics and networking, and I plan to continue up to the university.

I'm currently looking for a storage solution. As I plan to make in a medium-term some Microsoft and VMware certifications, I need something fast and efficient for the storage.

I saw on many blogs of user that actually use a Synology NAS DS412+ for their storage pool.
I'm currently hesitating between getting such a NAS (the model I want would be the DS1513+) or building straight an ESXI server that would host a NAS OS. Many recommend me using a system that supports the ZFS file system.

Currently, I only have a MacBook Pro Retina and a workstation (Core i7 2700k 4.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM, P8P67 WS Revolution). I have a 2 TB shared RAID 1 array into my workstation (running Windows 7) but I'm running out of space.

Synology offers a real nice and easy solution. I'm a network technician so configuring the whole thing isn't scaring me. But I liked everything of the Synology : DNS server, DHCP, Cloud app, iOS app, NFS/iSCSI, iTunes library... But it lacks the ZFS and many people says "ZFS is life" an I should even not think about the Synology solution.

As of networking hardware, I have a Cisco 2960s-24TS-L Gigabit Switch for networking.

So, with your experience, what would you recommend me for a storage solution ?

Thank you very much for your help.

G

Sure, if it would be only for that point, there would be no question !

But it's also a question of performance.

I read that ZFS systems need a lot of hardware resources to achieve good performances. That means quad-core CPU with a lot of ECC RAM.

When I will get this ESXi server for labs, I want it to get the job done. If I must sacrifice 30% of its computing capacity only for storage, I don't think it would be a good idea ... :/ But I want confirmation of this thinking.

FireWire2

Distinguished

Its' all about hardware power, whether you spend the money on hw raid or let the host system handle via ZFS with quad cores CPU.
Sum it's up, you can have:
1_ Use low power/energy CPU built-in MOBO + HW raid save energy/ electrical (green)
or
2_ Use Quad Core + Ton of RAM

Certainly HW raid solution is a proven solution.
I would build a ZFS solution,
Worst case, you can strip it and redo with HW raid,

popatim

Titan

Firewire makes a valid point. If you build something you can upgrade it as you see fit.
With the Synology all you can upgrade are the drives.

bernstein

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014

Well then you read wrong. Or got bad advice. At least if you're satisfied with a consumer nas performance.

i run the following ZFS home server :
- intel i3-2100T + fanless cooler -- $150
- intel s1200kpr itx server mainboard -- $150
- 1x 8GB kingston value ECC RAM -- $75
- lsi sas 1068 controller -- $150
- supermicro 24port 2.5" HDD backplane with lsi sas2 expander chip -- $450
- Seasonic x-400 fanless PSU --- $100
- 2x zpool raidz2 with each 12x WD Scorpio Blue 1TB --- ~$1500

cpu never goes beyond ~20% and r/w saturates Gigabit LAN...