Can a cpu survive physical damage from a fall?

PaulDubya

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
So I was bulding my first computer, and when trying to install the back plate for my heatsinc on the motherboard and the processor fell out, bounced off my leg & a box and landed on the concrete floor. There is visible damage on the top portion of the processor on the bottom left side (a dent about 1mm long) the heatsinc didn't end up being the right size for the z87 board so I haven't tested the cpu yet. Can processors survive this kind of damage or is this a very expensive accident?

dottorrent

Honorable
It is a very, very expensive accident. Most likely, the CPU socket has broken pins and the CPU itself having a scratched or split Dye. You are going to need to replace everything inside i'm afraid, unless the warranties for your individual components covers fall damage, which in that case, I would call up the manufactures to see if you can get replacement parts sent to you via RMA.

blacklex

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
What I have heard is that the CPU is in a solid state. Depending on what CPU it is, it may not have pins on it and if it landed on the top (the heat distributor if I am not mistaken) there is a possibility it still works. You should still see if it works by using the stock heatsink and fan. GL and I wish you the best!

blacklex

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013

He is right. Not too long ago, CPUs came with pins installed one them but now, Intel has switched to a different design where they put the pins on the motherboards and holes in the CPU. This helps somewhat prevent physical damage to the CPU so the only way you could bend the pins are if you put the CPU in the wrong way or drop the mobo xD.

Reactions: DOBURY

PaulDubya

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
Yeah so I'm replying on my computer now, its working fast, cool and great. Props to Intel for building such a durable processor! It did take a pretty hard hit on the concrete so I'm very surprized that there are no issues what so ever.

Reactions: DOBURY