FX 6300- single threading and multithreading

vishu_ka

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
As far as drawbacks of 6300 is considered over i3-3220 is-
1)igpu
2)weak performance for single threading
so i want to ask is what is difference between single threading and multithreading tasks and what are the tasks coming under them???
I googled it but could not understood it!!

Northern Island

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
well myself isn't an expert but single threading means applications using ony one core module while productivity applications and few games are known to be multithreading i.e requiring more than one core to work. AMdD cpu's generally shine in multithhreded applications where as intel's USp is it's superior IPC and lower power consumption and hence durability.

Multithread comes into play when parallel tasks are required (tasks that go on all at the same time). Multitasking is the simplest example of this. The FX-6300 is like a diesel truck. It doesn't have the straight line speed of the i3 but when you throw more and more weight onto it, it doesn't slow down like the i3 does. The i3 is a dual core CPU and those things are going the way of the 8088. Almost all modern CPUs are at least quad-core. Multi-threaded computing is the way of the future and if you get that i3, sure you might see some speed now, but it will be obsolete in a very short period of time. The FX-6300 can overclock like mad and make up the difference in the single-threaded applications while its native 6-core design will ensure that it stays relevant for a very long time. Look how long the Phenom II X4 was relevant. It came out in 2008 and people still use it today. How many Core2Duos do you see kicking around? Almost none.

Jaxem

Honorable
It kind of depends on what kind of PC user you are. People who just web browse or use productivity software will proabably never have need of more than 2 threads, so an i3 would be better. If you do any sort of creative applications, all those extra threads will make a big difference in renders/encodes. So they both have strengths. I had a fx 6300 for a long time, and it was very fast, you won't be wishing you had something faster, and it has much more potential, go with the 6300.

timil

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
you can overclock an fx-6300 to bridge the ipc gap between the two silicons and once you introduce multithreading the fx-6300 ruins the i3 so I would always go with the piledriver. also more cores are becoming a big thing with the next gen consoles and more applications using more threads.

vishu_ka

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013

Mostly i will be doing hardcore gaming so i know 6300 will be ass kicker. But other than that i will be just watching 1080p movies and web surfing, no software related works. So, will i be feeling sluggish during movies nd surfing??? will performance gap b/w 6300 nd 3220 be huge then???

as long as using windows 8 i dont see a issue windows 7 doesnt understand fx modules so doesnt feed the cores properly

windows 8 straightened this out and probly will get better as new microsoft e.g 9 which there going to have to solve this issue better hopefully streamroller doesnt play havoc with windows 8 lol hell we already had 8.1 lol whats next 8.2 i wish microsoft and amd would work together to get more performance out of the fx cores as if the os doesnt understand jack its like speaking chinese to a scots lol