how do i reformate without copy of oem

cindylou_38

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
I have a legal version of windows 7, I bought the computer with it embedded. I have no backup disc to use if I reformate my computer.

Do you have the copy of the product activation code that came with it (ie. it is usually attached to the case) and is the key readable ?

IF you do then all you need to do is download the windows 7 iso that fits the version of the OS that you have (ie. Home Basic, Professional, Ultimate) the key for (Links to available for downloads HERE - http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/ ) (NOTE : Digital River is Microsofts approved source for digital downloads so these are legitimate isos)

Once you download the version that matches your key - burn it to a disk and use it to boot the system and reinstall typing in the key from the certificate when requested.

Then it should work fine -- just be sure to get the version that matches what the code is for -- the reason I asked is that the OEM uses a different type of key for their install and that key will not work for reactivating (they give you 2 codes with the system the SLP key they use for the initial install which is for their initial install or with their specific restore disk and the code on the sticker placed on the case which is for use if using some other install disk (like the Download) so you will need that code from the sticker if using the download.

What browser are you using ?? In Mozilla firefox you can go to the top of the browser page and select Downloads to bring up a list of the downloaded files - from there just right click on the download in the list and select open containing folder and it will take you to the download. (explorere should have something similar !)

OR just use search and search for X17-59465.iso (the name of the file you downloaded) and windows explorer should find it for you !